The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I think thats about the going rate. Not too sure ceramic coating is worth the price IMO. Wonder if that heat wrap would be more effective and cheaper. If I had plenty of money, I would go ahead and spend the money, but I can use that $136 for other things.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Yea, I'm going with RiffRaff when I buy mine in the next couple of weeks.

I wouldn't get ceramic coated pipes unless I was making some mad power.

Edit: couldn't wait, had to buy them today. Now to call my mechanic...

·
Registered
172 Posts
You should either email or call Jake at Irate Diesel ( Irate Diesel performance ?Power Stroke Performance ). I'm not sure how much it is for just up pipes, since i just bought a turbo and mounting kit today. I dont know if the price will be the same or not since i bought a whole kit, but he quoted me an extra $75 to ceramic coat the up pipes. All of that being said....i opted not to go that route. You need to be making some serious power to make the ceramic coating worth it. Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I don't need to spend the extra $$ for ceramic. I drive a pretty stock 7.3. I don't plan on mod'in it up in the near future. I just need to stop my leaks. Man I love this website.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You should either email or call Jake at Irate Diesel ( Irate Diesel performance ?Power Stroke Performance ). I'm not sure how much it is for just up pipes, since i just bought a turbo and mounting kit today. I dont know if the price will be the same or not since i bought a whole kit, but he quoted me an extra $75 to ceramic coat the up pipes. All of that being said....i opted not to go that route. You need to be making some serious power to make the ceramic coating worth it. Hope that helps a bit.

What exact power range should you be producing before there ceramic pipes are "worth it"?
Since i am starting to look Irate for both turbo and entire kit, would there be any DISADVANTAGES, other than cost, of getting there ceramic coating in preparation for future upgrades?

Just seems to me if i am already purchasing the kit, get all features for future upgrades.... Unless adverse effects in the interim.

Thoughts?

Ps. Also, any thoughts on the Irate fuelabs 41401 pump & return system?

Thanks all!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dorman now sells a set of aftermarket bellowed up pipes for less than half what u pay for the IH ones part number is 679005 i think and best place to get em would be stockwiseauto.com and i think u get a discount if u type the word stockwise2012 at checkout

·
Registered
823 Posts
Dorman now sells a set of aftermarket bellowed up pipes for less than half what u pay for the IH ones part number is 679005 i think and best place to get em would be stockwiseauto.com and i think u get a discount if u type the word stockwise2012 at checkout
Based on my experience with Dorman, I wouldn't use their products for anything important. Replacement pedal covers or door knobs is one thing, fuel and exhaust another.

Another member here bought the Dorman and had some problems. But his problems might have been caused by the coating he had applied to them.
Ordered the Dorman Bellowed up pipes

·
Registered
936 Posts
Seems like the problem he had wasn't enough to discredit the Dorman pipes...I wish they made them for my early 99.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What exact power range should you be producing before there ceramic pipes are "worth it"?
Since i am starting to look Irate for both turbo and entire kit, would there be any DISADVANTAGES, other than cost, of getting there ceramic coating in preparation for future upgrades?

Just seems to me if i am already purchasing the kit, get all features for future upgrades.... Unless adverse effects in the interim.
I'm curious about this as well. Anybody know the numbers?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
221 Posts
Based on my experience with Dorman, I wouldn't use their products for anything important. Replacement pedal covers or door knobs is one thing, fuel and exhaust another.

Another member here bought the Dorman and had some problems. But his problems might have been caused by the coating he had applied to them.
Ordered the Dorman Bellowed up pipes

I think his issue was installation technique. If you read down in the post another member had the same issue with IH pipes. Like I said in my post install all parts loose then pull everything up evenly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Won't the ceramic coating help keep the pipes from rusting?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a set of SLP headers on a 1992 Z28 which I had Jet Hot coated about 10 years ago. They have very light surface rust on them, these are 409 stainles steel headers which will exibit some rust staining but are pretty much rust resistant but the Jet Hot coating does have a light coating of this surface rust unless you remove the headers and polish them periodically. So no in my opinion coatings will not completely stop corrosion. It does help though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts