The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if asking this outright will help me find it quicker:

I have a fuel leak on my 95 F250 7.3L Powerstoke. I can see it dripping
from underneath from the joint where the starter attaches (passenger side). But when I use a Milwaukee inspection camera to look at the back side of the engine from above, I can see where a fuel line attaches
to the back, but cannot see where the flow is coming from. Any ideas
where to focus to find this?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Look in the engine valley first. Lots of possible leak sources there. If it does have fuel in it, next thing to do is sop it up and get it TOTALLY dry, then sprinkle baby powder or baking soda in there. Then run engine and inspect. The white powder will help locate the leak.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I found a pulsating spritz fuel leak from the bottom of the
mechanical fuel pump. So I searched this forum and found a Howto
called "pumpreplacement" by Sam Miller for guidance on how to replace it.

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
That is the usual "go to" writeup for a fuel pump replacement! Cheers!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Welcome to the club! Dealing with this myself. A nice steam clean, to get all the oil and fuel out is a good way to start. Even after the baby powder bath, lots of inspection mirrors and flashlights will help. I haven't located my actual leak yet, but I have ruled out several things.

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
One thing on the steam cleaning is to go easy with it. There are sensors that do not like any water or high pressure water on or in them. It is best to use a degreaser and low pressure water to clean the engine off.

Reactions: SpceSpff

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope I'm using this tool correctly to ask another question on this thread: ( educate me, if not :smile2:)

How do I remove the elec connection on the Fuel Filter/Water Separator
Assembly, the top one on the driver's side. (the heater wire) The bottom connection pulled off of the post OK. Is the top connection a pull-off style? Can I pry against a rim ridge I see on it? Trying hard not to create damage!

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
You can pry on it gently, it is just a spade type connector and has a habit of almost melting onto the connector.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts