The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2003 F250 Powerstroke 6.0
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! Just searched for diesel forum and this one came up so I thought I'd check it out! I am two days away from getting my very first Diesel pick up and I am so very excited and nervous at the same time. I will be getting a 2003 F-250 King Ranch. Some details before my question...

Body has 169k miles the motor was swapped around 91,000 miles ago. Transmission and rear end was replaced 19,000 miles ago. It has been studded and deleted.

So my main question here is what should I 100% keep up with? Information I should know.. I do understand I could google this information and believe me I have been for the last week but coming up on the purchase date Im getting nervous I'm gonna mess it up lol. I live in Minnesnowta so I'm going to start with fuel additive right away due to it already getting very cold here, does anyone have a suggested additive for gelling? Is their a particular one that's better for super cold temps? Internet says diesel gels at 34° and one additive I think allowed it to get 20° colder then that before gelling... as everyone knows it gets way colder around here. Is that gonna be okay? I don't know how easy diesel gels obviously... A post says add Cetane boost also so I will be doing that as well. Is this all I add for now? I'll be adding fuel injector cleaner probably on first fill up also and probably every other month or something I don't know...

The seller has oil, oil filter, and fuel filter coming with truck and says it all should be changed in the next 500 miles so I'mma just do it right away.

I won't be towing with this truck.. i am simply getting it because I want it. Which besides people telling me to not get this truck because repairs are expensive they are also telling me I'm dumb for buying one because I won't be towing... I don't care. I have a '99 F-150 and I honestly just have the thought of having two basically pristine trucks that I care for and just enjoy.. added this section just to let everyone know this truck won't be used for towing and will be babied most likely cause everyone has scared me so bad lol..

I am here for all the tips and suggestions, very excited... Very nervous.

Thank you in advance and excited to talk to other diesel owners cause I don't know many.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've never added anything to diesel fuel except to rescue a mess. I've put Melt in a tank of summer fuel that gelled up when it got cold. You live in cold country so the fuel you buy will be OK. You can add various snake oils to it if you want to but you don't NEED to.

As far as monitoring goes I have a Scangauge II on my 6.0. When my oldest kid hasn't been messing with the display its set up to monitor engine oil temp, engine water temp, transmission fluid temp and voltage. I'm about to add a fuel pressure gauge because I have recently discovered that low fuel pressure eats injectors. I run Rotella T6 0/40 year round, change it every 10,000 km and other than that I just drive it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never added anything to diesel fuel except to rescue a mess. I've put Melt in a tank of summer fuel that gelled up when it got cold. You live in cold country so the fuel you buy will be OK. You can add various snake oils to it if you want to but you don't NEED to.

As far as monitoring goes I have a Scangauge II on my 6.0. When my oldest kid hasn't been messing with the display its set up to monitor engine oil temp, engine water temp, transmission fluid temp and voltage. I'm about to add a fuel pressure gauge because I have recently discovered that low fuel pressure eats injectors. I run Rotella T6 0/40 year round, change it every 10,000 km and other than that I just drive it.

Your saying the diesel already has additives here? Interesting.

And I am looking to replace the radio pretty much right away to an android one just to get the torque app. So that should be good. And with the fuel pressure that's good to know! I think theirs that sinister blue spring thing... I have not looked into it but I will now.

And thanks for the oil suggestion as well!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Your saying the diesel already has additives here? Interesting
Additive and winter fuel are two separate topics. Additives are crap you can dump in your tank if you believe the guy selling them on TV. Winter fuel is a lighter formulation which won't gel as easily. There are additives - Melt is one of them - which will thin gelled fuel and get it flowing again. Your goal should be to never need to do that.

Where I come from after about October 1st all the diesel fuel is a lighter blend that won't gel in really cold temperatures. I'm not sure what Minnesota does. In Montana and North Dakota the pumps have #1 & #2 diesel; I'll guess that Minnesota is the same but I don't think I've ever bought diesel in Minnesota. #1 is "thinner". Its what we would buy as winter fuel. Its got less energy in it so if you don't have cold temperatures you don't want it unless it is significantly discounted relative to #2.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Additive and winter fuel are two separate topics. Additives are crap you can dump in your tank if you believe the guy selling them on TV. Winter fuel is a lighter formulation which won't gel as easily. There are additives - Melt is one of them - which will thin gelled fuel and get it flowing again. Your goal should be to never need to do that.

Where I come from after about October 1st all the diesel fuel is a lighter blend that won't gel in really cold temperatures. I'm not sure what Minnesota does. In Montana and North Dakota the pumps have #1 & #2 diesel; I'll guess that Minnesota is the same but I don't think I've ever bought diesel in Minnesota. #1 is "thinner". Its what we would buy as winter fuel. Its got less energy in it so if you don't have cold temperatures you don't want it unless it is significantly discounted relative to #2.
Oh okay awesome! I'm not sure on types either as I've never looked haha... Do you have any other random diesel tips?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so I am looking to buy the truck tomorrow but I don't know if it is a good idea now.. I'm alone with my 1 year old today and we don't have a way of getting the big towns nearby... But was just watching some tip videos and one was saying if you have coolant coming out of that reservoir could mean blown head gasket. Their was coolant on the reservoir when I checked it out the other day... Their was no white streaking and it wasn't alot of coolant but their was some there.... Is this a bad idea? Are their other ways you should be able to tell if a head gasket is blown? The guy in the video said it could mean plenty of other things but didn't list those things off just said 9/10 means bad gaskets... The guy said I could look again but I let him know I'm not really available and I'd have to have it here at my house 4-5 hours so just waiting to hear back about that... This is a bummer being so close

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't mean to reply to my message and idk how to delete.. okay it's at my house. Theirs no coolant anywhere. I was concerned cause I noticed white foam in reservoir from side but let it cool opened it up and it's extremely minimal and a buddy says the coolant looks fine ( worked at ford not diesels ) so I hope he's right pretty smart guy... Oil looks perfect under oil cap looks perfect everything is looking fine I think.. I hope.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alriiiiiiighty.. bringing truck back and ending this sale. The guy claimed it was studded and deleted. It's 100% not studded I can see the bolts, not sure if it's deleted but I'm pretty sure I don't even care now cause I don't want to pay for it to get studded... Who knows if this motor was even actually swapped.. and if it actually was who the heck doesn't perform some of these mods while they have the motor out.

·
Registered
408 Posts
You may be over reacting. I'm not convinced that studding is either as common or as essential as the internet forums would have us believe. You are however dealing with A) a seller who is lying to you or B) a seller who doesn't know what he is selling or possibly both of the above. Easy for me to spend your money but if it was me and I really liked the truck I'd just use your discovery as an excuse to grind the seller really hard. Something along the line of "..... and now I'll have to spend $XXX just to get it to where you said it was already .... etc etc." Then I absolutely would not bother studding it. If its not deleted either then I would do that before I drove it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may be over reacting. I'm not convinced that studding is either as common or as essential as the internet forums would have us believe. You are however dealing with A) a seller who is lying to you or B) a seller who doesn't know what he is selling or possibly both of the above. Easy for me to spend your money but if it was me and I really liked the truck I'd just use your discovery as an excuse to grind the seller really hard. Something along the line of "..... and now I'll have to spend $XXX just to get it to where you said it was already .... etc etc." Then I absolutely would not bother studding it. If its not deleted either then I would do that before I drove it.

Bob I appreciate your input on the previous truck. I do have a question for a different truck I'm wondering if you could maybe help with.. this guy has a 04 completely redone... We've been talking for a few hours now but he just informed me it smokes due to low compression but not to worry that it's okay... He's got some stuff added to this truck and wondering if you know more about it.. is their an easier way to share the conversation with you? Or would here be best

·
Registered
408 Posts
That's a big list. There's plenty of things on that list that I don't really know what they are so you'll have to wait for someone smarter than me to advise you. My personal preference for a 6.0 is finding one that's as close to bone stock as possible so this one definitely isn't for me. But it might still be a great truck for you. The reason I say I'd look for a bone stock truck is that they are the ones that have likely had the easiest life. Nobody trying to stretch a few extra HP out of them to drag a big load. No kids trying to roll smoke at the stoplights. No tuners, fancy air systems, performance cams, special pistons etc etc etc.

You strike me as a guy in a rush to buy something. The best advice I can give you is to take your time. The right truck will come along. Maybe not for a month or two or three but it will come along if you're patient enough to wait for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a big list. There's plenty of things on that list that I don't really know what they are so you'll have to wait for someone smarter than me to advise you. My personal preference for a 6.0 is finding one that's as close to bone stock as possible so this one definitely isn't for me. But it might still be a great truck for you. The reason I say I'd look for a bone stock truck is that they are the ones that have likely had the easiest life. Nobody trying to stretch a few extra HP out of them to drag a big load. No kids trying to roll smoke at the stoplights. No tuners, fancy air systems, performance cams, special pistons etc etc etc.

You strike me as a guy in a rush to buy something. The best advice I can give you is to take your time. The right truck will come along. Maybe not for a month or two or three but it will come along if you're patient enough to wait for it.
Not even the full list.. Motor was rebuilt so thats where alot of it comes from. And ya got me dead on. I really should run away anyways, I truly am so like deep into this right now and everything is just solid red flags. Idk.. I think its cause im so close to owning something I find very fun and cool so I am extremely excited at this moment... its dangerous. Part of me does kinda wanna just turn everything off and walk away, I would get over it soon enough. But, the other half sees this truck that I believe to be in very good condition and have the idea of it outlasting my wifes 2016 fusion and the fun aspect I mentioned.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
From experience, and strictly speaking on patiently waiting for the “right truck” and not 6.0’s (I have no experience with 6.0 PSD) I agree with bobofthenorth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts