The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! First time poster here.

I picked up a truck on a barter deal and figured instead of selling it, I'd try to use it as a learning pad for all my life I've wanted a diesel truck, but just never could justify needing one. So admittedly I know very very little about the diesel motor. Please forgive my layman's terms and inaccuracies.

This truck was an old farmers truck and he passed about 10 years ago. So it sat in a field. The guy that traded it to me on a work deal with my company did the quick basics.
new batteries
new return lines
new breaks and break lines
coolant flush
oil change
fresh fuel with diesel kleen
new fuel filter separator
new glow plugs

The truck smokes some white smoke, not a ton but it's present at startup, idle, and acceleration. When I stomp on it, black smoke, then back to white. The smoke does not smell sweet, it smells like diesel.

The injectors look like they've seen their day so I was thinking of using some seafoam as a last ditch effort before going any further.

Today I noticed there's a fairly steady leak coming from what I believe is the injector pump and it's pooling in the pan. The video here shows to the best of my ability, the leaking. I'll try to get some more photos here in a bit. But just wondering what yall usually do with an old truck like this in an attempt to revive it and clean it up.

(it almost looks like its dripping from a screw/bolt that looks like it's backed out too much or something? I can see the threads on it, is that normal?)

Here's the video I took of the truck running and actively leaking

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just realized that the video quality is complete crap. So I took some more pictures of where it's leaking, and the whole motor. You can see the fuel pooling in the pan there I tried to capture that too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like I'm going to have to take the entire injector pump off to be able to access that screw and tighten it back up. It's completely loose in there but I can't get my hands in there.

·
Registered
11,861 Posts
If you're referring to your closeup photo, that's not a screw at all, it's the light load advance piston seal that's leaking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're referring to your closeup photo, that's not a screw at all, it's the light load advance piston seal that's leaking.
Yeah since posting this thread I've been told that it's the advance piston seal and that I'll need a whole new injection pump. Will I have to time it after installing a new reman pump?

·
Registered
11,861 Posts
Yes, by lining up the correct pump marks with the housing marks if you send your old pump to a pump shop for the repairs, which is the best option. You don't need a new pump. There's a correct complicated procedure for removing and reinstalling the pump and if you don't follow it, you'll be in a world of hurt. It's definitely not like changing a tire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts