The Diesel Stop banner

First Tow...

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  beretzs 
#1 ·
I bought the truck to pull my Jeep, but got cold feet and opted to use my brothers CC 2500HD gasser for an 800 mile roundtrip to TN last month.

The plan was to go pickup a buds Jeep and ferry it to his house later this week, but he called last night saying his other Jeep had suddenly lost any notion of brakes. Having no idea what it might possibly be on the newfangled Jeep (ABS?), we decided to tow it to his house. Went out in a pretty good rain to hookup the trailer...backyard is a muddy mess. Just about time I get ready to leave, he calls to say he's found the problem (softline on the front has rubbed a nice sized hole in it against the tire! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ), but I left the trailer on and threw in some tools/fluids.

When I got there, traffic was still running 75mph (55mph zone), so we limped it a little closer to the rail to gain some distance between us and the traffic. Topped off the brake fluid & attempted to crimp the line off with 2 pairs of Vise-Grips... no go. Tried a BB in the line (to completely block off & eliminate the softline)...nada. So we threw it on the trailer, dogged it down, and headed off.

While I've been told the N/As are "gutless wonders" (always by a PSD/CTD owners), I was a bit sceptical... started off in 1st (pretty steep grade) and was in 4th by the top. After a few miles of 55mph it's evident there's more than enough grunt to drag the est. 7500# (Jeep & trailer) in this terrain. I threw it up in 5th/OD and proceeded to steadly gain speed pulling a decent grade up to about 70mph. Trailer tracked perfect the entire way, despite being a tad light on the tongue.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased! A truck that will pull a load, get 17mpg in normal driving, and only sets me back pennies/day was what I wanted... looks like I got my wish!

Kudos to you all!

See less See more
#2 ·
great to hear stories like that... ive owned my truck for 10 months and haven't hauled anything other than my race quad in the bed...based on your story plus my turbo and LPG can wait for my "First tow" ! Congrats

-Nick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

#3 ·
Yup I had my first tow this weekend too. Fullsize grand wagoneer on my 18ft trailer from CT up to Northern NY (hilly) got about 13.5mpg cruising at 62mpg avg about 2100rpm. Very Happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif She gets about 20mpg empty

#5 ·
So, now you know why this is the usual statement here.... "It's a lifestyle, not a truck". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

#6 ·
Thats great, sounds like the truck was meant to pull the Jeeps around. My truck absolutely pleases the H@LL out of me. It pulls the jeep really nice and still can carry all of the other extras, (family, parts and so on). Man, if you could swing a H-max turbo, you would be in hog heaven with that truck... Scotty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.