The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All looking for input, got 04 crew cab with 170k, starting using a little coolant and smelling anitfreeze, cant see spray or leak yet and o noticeable smoke head gaskets and turbo were done by Ford at about 30k and I am 2nd owner and have had it ever since...I have read on here about 5k to do head gasket deal....thoughts ? is it best to cut bait now or try and fix.
truck bod not in terrible shape so its a tough call thanks

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Find out where it is going before you decide. Not every 6.0 coolant loss is catastrophic. The fact that you smell coolant makes it even less likely to be a big deal. It might be the connector cuff from oil cooler top nipple to the the EGR cooler. If it is has been cooler deleted then the cooler delete pipes are leak prone. Leaks on top of motor can collect and run off when in motion and not leave puddles on the ground. The coolant tank can leak when running and do a similar thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
id personally get it fixed. I had a similar issue on my ford explorer I couldn't find the leak for a long time and finally found that the plastic Y (coolant hose) was slowly leaking. I dont know but my point it get it looked over really well first before you do the head gaskets. but regardless Id still fix it and have arp studs put in if thats a head gasket issue

1 - 3 of 3 Posts