The Diesel Stop banner

Flaming/sparking out the right rear

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  BoredandStroked 
#1 ·
Okay I was driving my 05 excursion today and as I went to get over to the right I noticed dark orange flaming debris coming off my ride. It looked like I was dragging chains down the road. I put the trans in neutral and the truck idled normal, I coasted to a stop (took a very long time to coas to a stop) and got out and looked around. No signs of anything? Drove 40 miles regularly and noticed nothing. Are there any common problems that occur on these that cause something like this? Cat melting and flying out the exhaust? Rear axle seals leaking on brakes and catching on fire? Anything any one can think of? FWIW I was at about 3700 rpm in over drive WOT for about 45 seconds. My tuner was set on the SCT canned "performance tune." No I don't have any gauges before any one asks. And yes I know it was not very smart. Any ideas???

#2 ·
could it be a rear caliper hanging up?where exactly was it coming from?

#3 ·
I didn't see exactly where it was coming from, I didn't have the chance to adjust the mirror so I could see exactly. But it was coming from the right rear, near the wheel or exhaust. I wish I could have seen exactly, it would make this easier. But it was a LOT of little fire/spark particles that were pretty large. It wasn't a fine shower of sparks like a grinder, more like a cutting torch. They were visible out the rear view and the right side mirror.

#5 ·
Kinda what I was thinking. I haven't had time to try to trouble shoot the truck. It seems to be fine though. Just wondering if there were any common problems that may lead to something like this. Oil seal in the turbo? Cat? don't know just asking.

#7 ·
Well I got to investigate the truck last nightt. Droped the exhaust and pulled the right rear brake to inspect. No obvious damage. The exhaust is CLEAN I can make out objects through the cat, very clean. And the areas around the bends are ash grayish whiteish. The cat isn't missing any pieces and it is not loose or cracked. My guess is just a carbon fire cleaning out the exhaust. The down pipe was clean but did show some sings of would could have been oil on it. So maybe I have a little oil leak at the turbo and just got the egt up high enough to clean it out. I have about 60 miles of very easy driving on it since the incident. The only real evidenc seems to be some light scorching on the lower plastic valence behind the righ rear tire. If anything arises I'll post back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.