The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought some tranny fluid at International. One box was labeled Fleetrite Dexron III Mercon and the other was labeled Dex/Merc. They have the same part number except for the last digit...1691575C3 for Dexron III Mercon and 1691575C4 for Dex/Merc.

Does anyone know if these are the same fluid? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

· Registered
7,518 Posts
I don't actually know but here is my best guess. The Dex/Merc fluid is probably a newer package. Ford and GM are not renewing the licenses for Dexron or Mercon so the blenders can no longer call it that. There is nothing to prevent them from making it, they just can't call it that. The down side is that Ford or GM isn't going to have a check system in place to make sure it meets the requirement. You are at the mercy of the blenders. That wouldn't concern me as long as it was a reputable company such as this one.

· Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok...so it looks like Dex/Merc is the "new", but same, Dexron III/Mercon. If thats the case then everyone who is concerned about only using Dexron III/Mercon in their transmission may not have to worry that it will no longer be available...it would just be a matter of making sure that you got the "new" stuff from a reputable source to ensure a good quality fluid.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.