The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some write ups on how to make my fog lights stay on at the same time as my high beams. My problem is the mod write up says that if i have a black wire at the pin13 location, that this mod will not work. I do not want to attempt this procedure and risk damaging anything. I also read up on a mod that jumps a set of wires behind the headlight switch. My problem with these mods is that my truck has the black wire at the pin13 location, and the wires described in the other mod do not match the colors that I have on my switch. My truck has a build date of 08/2001 and does not have Daytime running lights. I dont belive that i have a Canadan truck either. Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you get around it. I dont want to spend 125$ on a BriteBox.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I've done the mod on both a '01 and '03 truck, of course more then 12 years ago. Do you have a link to the instructions you are commenting on so I can review what your looking at so I can clarify? Btw, I got a short Facebook photo album that covers the '03.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
What I have is a manual for a 2001 truck so what I've pulled is the schematics for the lights from the manual. but I'm not sure if that will help as it also related to doing the Brown to White/Black tracer for the mod. For the 2001 model year the grounding of the fog light relay does not go through the GEM, so it seems the best way by this schematic is to power the fog only from the brown parking lights circuit rather then the low beams, which will give you fogs with parking, low and high beams. Fog with high beams may be illegal in some states so you have have to deal with it as I did in my pictorial, able to switch using a fuse scotch-loc.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
And one more to show the ECM/GEM not doing anything.

The first link is for the changeover in circuitry done in 11/2002.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update, I got it to work!!!! :eek:hyeah:

After doing more research, I found some posts on ford enthusiasts.com that had the same problem I had with doing this mod. Here is what I did.

1) Remove headlight switch in cab. (It pops out easily with a flat screwdriver)

2) Located red wire with black tracer that comes off the grey plug on the headlight switch.

3) Cut that wire and splice it (from the switch side, NOT the side that returns back into the harness) with a snap lock connector into the brown wire on the same grey plug.

4) You are done! Drink beer and celebrate. :cheers:

This took me about 10 min to complete. I put a female connector on the wire that returns into the harness and put electrical tape on it to keep it from grounding out. Then i put a male connector on the wire that comes from the plug. I made up a 4in long piece of wire with a female spade connector on one side and plugged it into the male spade connector, and then used the snap lock connector to connect it to the brown wire. By doing it this way, I can easily re connect the wires again (via the spade connectors) if I need to put it back to original condition. I hope this helps anyone that has the same kind of truck as mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts