The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotton LOTS of good advice here and just want to pass something on to others that might help. You probably know that our trucks are usually at the top of the theft list for whatever reason. About a month ago, I almost lost my truck. I can see my truck from my office window but of course not staring out all day. Short story is I go out and find that someone was in and out of my truck in less than 30 seconds and would have driven away except for the alarm system I had that has a starter cutoff.
Someone punched the door lock which would have let them in the truck within seconds. Then they used vise grips or whatever to twist and break the ignition switch and throw it to the floor. Then they just turn the ignition with a screwdriver to start the truck and drive off. I was shocked! I had a pair of $200 sunglasses on the center console which were untouched. Obviously a pro job, in and out and not a random thief looking for stuff. When the truck didn't start due to the ignition cutoff, they left. $500 dollars later I fixed it myself but at least still had my truck.
I'm just saying this to suggest everyone have a cutoff switch or an alarm that does it for you. My alarm went off as soon as the door was opened but the person didn't care because one way or the other he was out of there within seconds. Just confirms my thought that nobody pays attention to alarms and the stinking thieves can be gone before anyone notices. Thank God I still have my old reliable 02 truck! PS I have sticker on the windows but judging by the quickness of this crime, the only thing that mattered was that the truck wouldn't start. I even had an extra alarm fob in the center console that would have disable the cutoff but they didn't take the time to look. The fob is gone now!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Stellar model STRS9750 although it's several years old and not sure they even make it anymore. I actually bought it for the remote start because I like a warm truck on cold mornings, and the remote start included ignition cutout. I'm sure other systems are out there that do the same. I installed it myself but it was a pain.
If you have a newer push to start with a fob, you just need to keep the fob in a "faraday bag" is my understanding. Our old trucks are much easier to steal.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The hydra chip has a no start mode, as long as you remove the little control box.
Also, I would hope my jimmijammers would prevent the intrusion to begin with...

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have a Stellar model STRS9750 although it's several years old and not sure they even make it anymore. I actually bought it for the remote start because I like a warm truck on cold mornings, and the remote start included ignition cutout. I'm sure other systems are out there that do the same. I installed it myself but it was a pain.
If you have a newer push to start with a fob, you just need to keep the fob in a "faraday bag" is my understanding. Our old trucks are much easier to steal.
Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts