The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, just bought my first truck, a 1997 ford f-250 ext. cab 4x4 with 162k miles. i bought it for $1200 and i've got about 3k to put into it upfront and i was wondering what would be the top 5 or so collection of upgrades in that price range that i could do to it to help the engine last as long as possible. Any advice about common problems for the 7.3 would also be appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
The best upgrades to make it last is to do proper maintenance.

If it is a automatic do a transmission cooler from a 6.0

As for other things, as you add extras sometimes you just add to a problem that you might have down the road. As you increase power you need to add strength to what the power is going to and so on.

The big question is what do you plan on using it for?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For right now It's going to be my daily driver, with some light trailer towing. its an automatic. So i think i'm mostly looking for longevity and gas mileage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some of the things i've been thinking;
aftermarket downpipe (diamond eye?)
aftermarket cold air intake (k&n?)
aftermarket turbo wheel (wicked wheel 2?)
now a tranny cooler (brand?) (thanks!)

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Pretty much never a good idea to run a k&n on a turbo engine.
Search for "6637,tymar, blue 6637."

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty much never a good idea to run a k&n on a turbo engine.
Search for "6637,tymar, blue 6637."

[/QQU
Thanks, I'll check it out! What wrong with the k&n?
Also is mishimoto a good brand for the tryanny cooler?

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Thanks, I'll check it out! What wrong with the k&n?
Also is mishimoto a good brand for the tryanny cooler?
Mishimoto makes a great cooler, a little pricey if you’re on a tight budget.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I think you already have a wicked wheel style turbo in the truck, it has been a while since I had mine. Do a search the info will pop up. Tranny cooler, Downpipe, are both good mods. If you want good MPG avoid big wide tires and lift kits. Air bags in the rear are great for towing. You will see very little if any MPG increase from most mods. Also the power increase in not combined with mods, so Intake 10HP, EXHAUST 10HP, will not get you 20 more HP. DENNY

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Yeah, yours is basically a gen 1 "wicked wheel." I did a d66 rebuild with a 1.0 exhaust housing.
K&n's will let dirt through. Not good with a turbo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! that's good to know. that saves me $229 on that wheel. i think i'll order the tymar intake and the downpipe and then look at the tranny cooler. is that hard to install if i wanted to try it myself?

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
Putting in a transmission cooler is just plumbing, and running the hose. It is a easy couple of hour job.

On the air intake, take a good look at the orange hose that goes to the turbo. These hoses have a habit of tearing and letting in unfiltered air to the turbo and engine. The factory one is discontinued but there is a replacement one that you can purchase.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Putting in a transmission cooler is just plumbing, and running the hose. It is a easy couple of hour job.

On the air intake, take a good look at the orange hose that goes to the turbo. These hoses have a habit of tearing and letting in unfiltered air to the turbo and engine. The factory one is discontinued but there is a replacement one that you can purchase.

Thanks! that's good to know about the cooler and intake hose. do i also have to do some wiring or anything? cause the mishimoto i looked at has a electric fan on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, the truck needs tires in a bad way... I was looking at some Goodyear wrangler trailrunner A/T's. Any thoughts on these tires?

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
Goodyear and I have had a problem for the last 40 or so years and I will never have another set of their tires on one of my vehicles.

As for the fans on the cooler, I have never seen a transmission cooler with them. The cooler usually just mounts on the front of the radiator. But I have never worried about them since all of my trucks have had manuals in them

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, good to know. My second choice is BF Goodrich All terrain T/A KO2's which are a $10 more per tire. Any thoughts on these?
I have an automatic, so should i go with a electric fan model or would i be ok with the standard?

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
I'll let someone else chime in on the cooler, but a question I would have is where are you supposed to mount it?

The Goodrich are good tires and I ran them for quite a while on a company truck that I drove. But if you like the Goodyear's go ahead and get them, I won't run them just because of a problem that I have with them.

I do carry a grudge for a long time

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
x2 on the maintenance FIRST. It doesn't make sense to modify something that's worn out. Get everything caught up, do any repairs, and drive it for a while before changing things.

Wrangler was the worst tire for the money for a decade or so, back in the 90s - until the chinese tires stole that crown. I still won't buy them. I put Cooper AT3s on all my trucks, and I always add TPMS.

(phone app link)

This is the TPMS I prefer.

I'm also a big fan of these headlights because their pattern is so much better than the originals'; it's like modern vehicles'.

(phone app link)

My list of standard mods includes an oil drain valve
Magnetic filters for the ATF (5/16") & PSF (3/8")
Locking fuel caps
Dash cam
VentShades
StepShields
USB power in the dash (key-switched)
Wireless charging cradle
USB socket in the power point (always-on)

(phone app link)

I put in the Hayden ATF cooler, but I'm not happy with how they exaggerate the size.

(phone app link)

If I ever have to drop a trans pan, I always add a drain plug kit.

My truck's original orange hose is still good, but this claims to be a genuine Ford replacement.

And I'm very big on battery terminals being solid Copper, and soldered on. It's even more important on a diesel because of the immense current draw of the GPs & starter at the same time.

(phone app link)

My truck had a severely-neglected K&N when I bought it, but the intake pipes were still clean. So I cleaned the filter (for a couple of weeks) and reinstalled it.

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

All my gassers have K&Ns, and they've never let me down - even when I neglect them.

(phone app link)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the ideas!
The Coopers have a lot of good reviews so I think I might try them out.

The truck is at the mechanic now for a fuel pump leak, so when I get it back I'll see how I can mount the cooler.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi, I recently talked to a mechanic who has a 97' 7.3 F350 and he told me i should replace just the #8 piston fuel injector... should'nt i replace all of them at the same time? or is there something special about the #8?
Thanks for any advice on this!

·
Premium Member
14,667 Posts
The special thing about #8 is it fires immediately after its next door neighbor #6. That leaves it with a transient decrease in high pressure oil pressure and fuel pressure which causes a slight decrease in efficiency. That translates into a slightly higher PERDEL reading (percent deceleration) which tricks unwitting mechanics into condemning the injector even though it is functioning normally. Why does your mechanic want to swap it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: DENNY
1 - 20 of 29 Posts