The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for clearing that up! He didn't give me any reason, He's actually not my mechanic and he's never looked at the truck, he just told me i should do it. Also, My truck has 162k miles on (i'm pretty sure) the original injectors. Another friend of mine has had 3 Ford 7.3's and said i should change out the injectors every 100k. Should i be worried about my injectors?

·
Premium Member
14,667 Posts
He may be suggesting an upgrade to a long lead injector. That was an option on 99-01 trucks, but requires programming updates. It wouldn’t work on yours. Powerstroke injectors generally last 250,000 to 350,000 miles before needing rebuilds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Great! I'm good for awhile then. Does changing the fuel filter more often, say every 3-5k, help make them last longer?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
More frequent changes may not necessarily make a difference.
Finer filtration will, along with proper fuel pressure, running a fuel additive, and proper oil changes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Powerstroke injectors generally last 250,000 to 350,000 miles before needing rebuilds.
Hmmm...

What are the symptoms of needing to be rebuilt? Can a typical gasser mechanic rebuild them, or do they need to be mailed off/traded as cores?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Typically sent off. Just depends what part is worn. As mentioned, the armature clearance can be adjusted. Can even diy new solenoids.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,667 Posts
Hmmm...

What are the symptoms of needing to be rebuilt? Can a typical gasser mechanic rebuild them, or do they need to be mailed off/traded as cores?
Usually hard cold starts are one of the first symptoms. Diminished power. Decreased fuel efficiency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Might want to find a better mechanic. The issues with the #8 injector are related mostly to the dead end fuel system that came out with the 99 and up. Cure was to put in a fuel return system like you truck currently has.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah i think your right. He has a 97' 7.3 though so i thought he would know what he was talking about.
Another question... i was looking at diesel fuel additives today at autozone... are they worth it? i looked at threads on the subject here. maybe just once in awhile to help clean it out? Thanks for any advice!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts