The Diesel Stop banner

101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
If you have a doner truck or some of your old parts you had switched out before fuel pump change try putting some of your old parts back in!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Currently has everything original as it was except my cps and aftermarket fuel pump

I will look into it!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I should be able to figure this out from here, just going take a bit longer than if i had the truck in front of me!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I should be able to figure this out from here, just going take a bit longer than if i had the truck in front of me!
tomorrow I can run down and grab an aftermarket ipr valve to install it and check if that fixes the problem! Im surprised it would give a no start though?

that’s my last idea to check before a buzz test is made and I can hear how the injectors sound

Im hoping the ipr valve is bad and everything else works as expected as I can change the ipr valve fairly easily just pop out and slide the new one in

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's your IDM. Left front fender well, firewall side area. Been through this before with my 96.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
It's your IDM. Left rear fender well area. Been through this before with my 96.
bugman told me it wasn’t the IDM because I’m getting smoke out the tailpipe

what do you think about the ipr valve being the culprit?
Injectors?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nope, it's your IDM, trust me. I went through the same rig-a-ma-role your are. I would have given a $1000 to someone who could have written to me what I am gonna tell you now. Symptoms were just the same. Water gets in those (supposedly sealed) IDM units over time and causes bugs that eventually go to complete failure, just like you describe.

White smoke from the tailpipe after a fair amout of cranking is vaporized fuel. Stick your nose in it and you will know.

Definitive test to confirm your problem is the buzz test. I did mine with Android app CarGuage Pro, about $5, and a "OBDLink" OBD dongle, about $35. With those two things you can read and test everything on your PCM, including running a buzz test, cylinder contribution, FICM voltage, IPR voltage... you get the picture.

Save yourself a ton of headaches and do a buzz test.

·
Registered
9 Posts
IPR failure means no fuel at all, or maybe starvation. Injectors would be harness problem. All at once, both sides, doubtful.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I am really hoping you are right! 😬 I will stop by and take it from a friends working 7.3 and test it out! Any idea where to order from?! Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,671 Posts
bugman told me it wasn’t the IDM because I’m getting smoke out the tailpipe
I told you that it wasn't the IDM when you said that you were getting smoke out of the tailpipe around 50 or so post before you came out and said that a friend dumped diesel down the turbo. Now if your friend hadn't dumped fuel down the turbo and you were getting white smoke out of the tailpipe that would indicate that the injectors were working putting fuel into the cylinders.

As another poster said, keep that friend away from your diesel

Right now until you start using the Forscan to to a buzz test all bets are off on what is working and what isn't.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Bugman. My IDM went out on one bank, confirmed by a buzz test. The truck would not start, but plenty of unburned fuel from the right bank was making white smoke out the tailpipe. Of course that throws a guy off, and since my IDM had been replace a year earlier, I was looking the other way. These things can be tricky for sure.

Like you said, like I said too, do a buzz test!

·
Premium Member
8,671 Posts
Also dumping fuel down into the turbo in a effort to get it to start is going to cause problems trying to figure out what is going on also.

If he has a friend that has a 7.3 then swapping the IDM's is a good route to see if you have a bad one it you can't do a buzz test.

Trouble shooting one of these computer controlled engines is next to impossible without a scan tool. A person could go into the poor house throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well we will see what the youngster does now. ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I just changed the IDM and I’m getting a CEL now upon cranking; still no start unfortunately; I’m going to see if I can borrow my buddies for scan obd reader and see what’s going on

·
Registered
9 Posts
CEL is progress, let's see what the codes are now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
CEL has a few things showing up

And it quickly drained both batteries dead! I don’t know if this one (EPC) is just because my batteries are completely drained

101 - 120 of 140 Posts