The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
By all means - order the brake controller with the tow command system. You will never regret it. As good as the Prodigy is the factory unit is better.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
[ QUOTE ]
By all means - order the brake controller with the tow command system. You will never regret it. As good as the Prodigy is the factory unit is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks to you and the rest of the commentors above, I did, see signature.

Thanks,

Al

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Albin -- You will not regret ordering the TBC. It is a very good unit and is neatly installed. Hope you also ordered the 4 upfitter switches -- you'll find lots of uses for them.

Congrats on ordering your new ride.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
[ QUOTE ]
Albin -- You will not regret ordering the TBC. It is a very good unit and is neatly installed. Hope you also ordered the 4 upfitter switches -- you'll find lots of uses for them.

Congrats on ordering your new ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. As I mentioned in another post, this site made deciding on and ordering a new truck very easy and pleasant. I was very surprised at out professional and helpful the salesman was. If it's not against site rules, I would like to state the dealers name and the salesman's name, please let me know.

Off the top of my head, here's what I'll get in late Feb. or early March:

- 2006 F-350 SRW XLT Long Bed
- 6.0 diesel
- 6 speed manual, manual 4x4 shift, manual hubs
- 4x4 package
- high output alternator (140 amps)
- fog lamps
- security package
- clearance lights
- tow brake controller
- Captain's chairs
- Tan paint and seats
- Skip plates
- Camper package
- Stock wheels with off-road tires

The only real issue hanging is whether or not to replace the high output alternator with the dual alternator's. I have time to change the order.

Thanks to all on this site who helped make it happen.

Thanks,

Al

·
Registered
386 Posts
I got it....
You get it....
Just love it!!!

Get Ford's Tow Command

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
ford TBC for 06 does work on hydraulic disc.
there is a software upgrade (reflash) to correct teh issue

but spend the ducket and get it now when you order the truck plus teh upffitters and dont look back

·
Registered
856 Posts
mjstef wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
Is it proprtional like the Jordan Ultima??? The Jordan is the best i have had since the old Kelsey Hayes units that hooked into to the brake line before anti-lock brakes........

[/ QUOTE ]
I love my Jordan too, however...

From what I know and understand about the controller it is most like the BrakeSmart - which taps off the master brake cylinder into a pressure transducer, converts pressure to 0-12VDC output which is what the brakes use.

BrakeSmart, to me, is the most pure form of electric braking. It simply takes 1 single input - brake pressure and converts to 0-12VDC output.

Ford has implemented much the same and additionally added other inputs from the PCM (ie: low speed) that BrakeSmart doesnt have access.

Everytime some other input comes from something other than the driver, it takes away control from the driver and shifts to some other force. Not what I would prefer.

The reason I say BrakeSmart is the most pure is it strictly acts on brake pedal pressure - nothing else.

I personally feel there are 3 categories of brake controllers:

- BrakeSmart and Ford Commander
- Jordan and Prodigy
- all others

BS and Ford operate on fluid pressure
Jordan and Prodigy are proportional within the mechanical design - Jordan using a cable connected to the brake pedal and Prodigy using TV change in inertia.

Others use time delay ramp etc and arent in the same league.

My order of preference would be BrakeSmart, Ford, Jordan, Prodigy, others - BrakeSmart only because it is 100% dependent on what I as the driver want to happen.

·
Registered
153 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Ordering my 6.0 PSD F-350 SRW some time this week.

Is ordering it with the Ford brake controller worth it at $190 or get an after-market Prodigy after delivery?

Thanks,

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to say 95% of our trucks are built with the brake controller and about 80% are built with both brake controller and upfitter switches. So if you didn't,you would be in the minority of our truck buyers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Hope you enjoy your new truck,i know i enjoy building them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ordering my 6.0 PSD F-350 SRW some time this week.

Is ordering it with the Ford brake controller worth it at $190 or get an after-market Prodigy after delivery?

Thanks,

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to say 95% of our trucks are built with the brake controller and about 80% are built with both brake controller and upfitter switches. So if you didn't,you would be in the minority of our truck buyers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Hope you enjoy your new truck,i know i enjoy building them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, it came with it, this thread and the advice it contained made sure of that!

Pics:

Thanks,

Al
My '06 PSD

21 - 32 of 32 Posts