The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
In that description, it talked about the diesel excursions using more fuel than the gas competition. That's not exactly true.
The 5.3 and 6.2 don't actually get much better. Yea, they're epa rated higher, but in actuality it's way below that.
Ours 11 with the 5.3 stayed at 13.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talk in this article....[ https://carsintrend.com/2018-ford-excursion/ ] says it would have a 3.6 Ltr. V6 engine, or the 5.0 ltr,
V8 engine...That most likely precludes it WILL NOT be built on the F250 SuperDuty chassis, But on the F150 chassis...
and it would not be a 3/4 ton then, on the F150...
For the 3/4 ton, you'd need the 6.8ltr gas or 6.7 ltr diesel...The diesel engine would run then price for the Ex. upto and above $80,000 easily

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I figured they would go with the ecoboost as a option. (I didn't watch the whole video)
I could see that being viable.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
if it's a f150 platform, it should be called an expedition.

Sounds like they may be trying to capitalize on the nostalgia of the "lost excursion"

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well; HOAX DOCTOR, I think you're correct...Its probably the Expedition "MAX" they're talking about...
BUT...What I think is a HOAX, is the claim that Ford's 3.5 ltr. ECOBOOST engine will get 375 HP, 470#lbs of Torque, and tow 9300# pay load... [up a 7% grade ?????]...
I had a Suburban, with a 454 ci engine, with 400# lbs of torque that couldn't tow my 9000# trailer up a 7% grade...
SOO!!!! I bought Y2K-X, with the 7.3 Ltr, with 265 hp, and 500# torque ...and chipped it just to help its along...
and It did pretty good...
Some how, I can't visualize a 3.5 ltr, engine towing a 9000# PLUS payload up a 7% [PLUS] grade...SORRY!!!

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
No, the Expedition is not anything close to what the Excursion was capability wise. I personally think Ford is putting way too much stock in these Ecoboost engines. With something like an Expedition and customers wanting towing capability I think a v-8 option would be better. I wonder if the 3.0L diesel that is supposedly coming for the F150 would be a viable tow option. It's no match for the V-8 diesels but...

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Expedition EL is every bit the competitor to Suburban but with more cargo room as floor to ceiling is higher since Ford has indy rear suspension and doesn't have to allow for more axle travel area. Expedition regular is the tahoe/yukon competitor and the EL version is the size of Suburban and Yukon XL

There is a replacement for displacement, it's a turbocharger. DO you guys not remember what a 7.3 IDI could (not) do and then they put a turbo in it for a year or so and woke it up. Then they came out with 7.3 Pstroke non intercooled. and then for 99 year model they intercooled it. Now we have a 6.7 that will out pull a chipped 7.3 with a brick below accel pedal. It is as much about how much dynamite is in the hole as it is about how big the hole is.

I don't like the chassis capabiltiy of a F150 towing 11000 pounds up a steep hill but a 3.5 Ecoboost in a 2014 A friend has will do without too much strain. My 2003 Expedition with 5.4 is not able to keep in sight of that 2014 F50 3.5 EB with 4000 pounds less trailer weight.

Reactions: ford_doctor
1 - 9 of 9 Posts