The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My 2018 F-350 Platinum 6.7 is almost out of warranty. I only have 12500 miles on it and plan on keeping it another 4 years and am thinking of extending the warranty. First for people who have done this was it worth it and the coverage the same as the original bumper to bumper? Second I have a price on one from Anderson and Koch ford for $1320 to extend it to 7 years and 48000 miles 0 deductible from the original in service date. Thing that concern me are the electronics on these things. It has all the led lighting,sync,etc. Just looking on opinions on this. The last 2 trucks I kept 6 and 7 years and never had a problem with them but as I get older I am not as daring to go without some type of protection. What are some of the typical repairs on these trucks as they age? Thank You Steve

·
Registered
496 Posts
My experance and I have some. ESP's are a waste of your money. You spend $3,000 on a plan only to have to spend more to cover the repair. I have a 15 250 and so far I have spent about $1,500 on a new DEF heater and DEF nozzle. I bought the truck new and so far I am very happy with the truck.
Now the DEF heater would come under ESP warranty but I bought mine OEM and installed it in my driveway. I am no spring chicken 68. Heater was $300. The nozzle was a different story. I let the truck go into limp mode. Because I didn't know what the problem was I just let it go. Had the dealer fix it for $1,200 They had to do a few drive cycles.
Another thing you are 3 years into your warranty and a ESP starts on the day you buy the truck NOT from the day you purchase it. At this rate you will run out of time before you will get to use the warranty. I bought a 07 GT500 and they offered me a ESP but I only have 17,000 miles on the car so I didn't find a reason to buy a ESP.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My experance and I have some. ESP's are a waste of your money. You spend $3,000 on a plan only to have to spend more to cover the repair. I have a 15 250 and so far I have spent about $1,500 on a new DEF heater and DEF nozzle. I bought the truck new and so far I am very happy with the truck.
Now the DEF heater would come under ESP warranty but I bought mine OEM and installed it in my driveway. I am no spring chicken 68. Heater was $300. The nozzle was a different story. I let the truck go into limp mode. Because I didn't know what the problem was I just let it go. Had the dealer fix it for $1,200 They had to do a few drive cycles.
Another thing you are 3 years into your warranty and a ESP starts on the day you buy the truck NOT from the day you purchase it. At this rate you will run out of time before you will get to use the warranty. I bought a 07 GT500 and they offered me a ESP but I only have 17,000 miles on the car so I didn't find a reason to buy a ESP.
Thank You for the reply. I realize that coverage starts at the in service date. I was looking again and I can get a 8 year 60k 0 deductible esp for $1750. So I would be getting 5 more years and 47k miles of warranty. I can do a lot of my own work as I was a ase certified master tech for over 25 years but these trucks are complicated and without scan tools and manuals its tough. If I knew some of things that go bad on these trucks I could make a better decision. I still got a little time to decide. Steve

·
Registered
496 Posts
Problem is you don't drive your truck much so there is little that will go bad or brake.There isn;t much that goes wrong on these trucks. mostly EGR cooler DEF heater oil pan leak and you should check yours before the warranty runs out. Other than that you should not have any problems. You have lots of experance so I would rely on that. I am sure you know about Forscan and the OBDll scanner for the laptop. Forscan is very powerful and almost like the program at the dealer.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
I am on the fence on this. Your 2018 engine and trans are fairly trouble free mechanically at this point. It's the electrical and electronics that that can whack you with a high repair bill out of the blue. An ESP Premium warranty will typically cover those items including wiring repairs which are not uncommon. Yes, mileage is not as much concern as time with your truck but if you need peace of mind an extended warranty is worth considering. Annnnnnnd because it is a big topic - fuel system failures caused by contamination are not covered by an ESP as you could guess.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone on your thoughts on this. I will make a decision soon. I went back on the site to look at the warranty again and it boils down to $30 a month for the next 5 years. The 8 year 60k 0$ deductible would cost $1800.00 which in the scheme of things is not that bad. The things that concern me are the electronics like ford doctor mentioned. The fuel thing I always run stanadyne performance formula in every tank which is no guarantee but I believe helps. Unless there are significate changes in these trucks I will keep this another 5 years at least.

ford_doctor can you think of anything other than fuel contamination that typically would not be covered? Is ESP Premium care like bumper to bumper other than brakes, squeaks, windnoise and waterleaks. Thanks again for everyone's advise.
Steve

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
ford_doctor can you think of anything other than fuel contamination that typically would not be covered? Is ESP Premium care like bumper to bumper other than brakes, squeaks, windnoise and waterleaks. Thanks again for everyone's advise.
Steve
First DO UNDERSAND that there is no "bumper to bumper" ESP plan though some sales peeps might use those very words. I am sometimes surprised when something is not covered. Sometime weird things like emissions parts. Of course a premium warranty does have good coverage but it won't include wear and maintenance parts. Do your homework before choosing and find the list of covered components for each plan and look them over thoroughly. It won't cover brakes, squeaks, wind noise and water leaks generally nor will it cover things like trim for example. READ THE FINE PRINT!

·
Registered
496 Posts
First DO UNDERSAND that there is no "bumper to bumper" ESP plan though some sales peeps might use those very words. I am sometimes surprised when something is not covered. Sometime weird things like emissions parts. Of course a premium warranty does have good coverage but it won't include wear and maintenance parts. Do your homework before choosing and find the list of covered components for each plan and look them over thoroughly. It won't cover brakes, squeaks, wind noise and water leaks generally nor will it cover things like trim for example. READ THE FINE PRINT!
Hey Dr.
This is what I found when I purchased my 12 Taurus SHO. The chrome would peal off my taillights and they were $100 each to replace. My ESP didn't cover them and I had to replace all 4. There were other things that the ESP didn't cover and in the end my experience was it was a big waste of money. I did have the prtemium plan. I have not had a single problem with my electronics windows still work I am extremely happy with the quality of my truck overall. The ESP does cover a lot of things but if you look closely you will find not much goes wrong with any of them.
SRB442 read the fine print.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
I work on these trucks all day...every day... at a dealership. I see things. I know things. ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi, My 2018 F-350 Platinum 6.7 is almost out of warranty. I only have 12500 miles on it and plan on keeping it another 4 years and am thinking of extending the warranty. First for people who have done this was it worth it and the coverage the same as the original bumper to bumper? Second I have a price on one from Anderson and Koch ford for $1320 to extend it to 7 years and 48000 miles 0 deductible from the original in service date. Thing that concern me are the electronics on these things. It has all the led lighting,sync,etc. Just looking on opinions on this. The last 2 trucks I kept 6 and 7 years and never had a problem with them but as I get older I am not as daring to go without some type of protection. What are some of the typical repairs on these trucks as they age? Thank You Steve
I finance through my credit Union and always get their extended warranty which goes the entire length of my loan. I also got it on my kids car. (she used it for an oil pan and rear seal lea) I have a $100 deductible and as far as what it covers, It depends on which package you get. I get one of the top tiers because it covers your electronics, back up sensors, cameras and that $1,500 screen in the middle of your dash. I have American Service Group. I personally think it is worth it, I always get it on a used vehicle I buy because you never know what will go on it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the help on this. I have decided to not get the warranty. My 11 never had any problems in the 7 years I had it. The engine has another 2 years on it and I think these trucks are pretty solid. Steve

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
NOW you have jinxed yourself! Would you like fries with those words? :ROFLMAO:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts