The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
It was from a song... So more of a joke than anything.. Although you did have to trim - so technically they didn't fit.

Anyways - I like the way the truck looks!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Got it :) Actually the websites all say that minor trimming is usally required on these sizes so it wasn't unknown. I didn't want to have to do a lift as well.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
makes you wonder why they gutted the F450 for 2011 and even thought 17's were a smart thing to do.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok, drove 90 miles to Verona, VA and had the tires shaved and balanced. Wow, really smooth. I don't get all the compliants on how stiff the tires are. They are obviously more rigid but there's more tire there and I believe the additional weight helps with bounce. The ride is pretty darn good. You get the occassional firm hit but I was getting that with the small stock tires. Feels like a truck. I imagine air or upgraded shocks and you would have a near car like ride??

It was pretty neat to watch them shave the tire and honestly you have no idea how out of round one is until you see it in person.

·
Registered
176 Posts
22.5 s

i'd like to know that too. are you in alabama ? would like to see your truck in person. that is awsome ! :ford:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nope, central Virginia.

Not sure I will see more gas miles per gallon...maybe on the highway. I will say the effective gearing is awesome...smooth starts, lower RPM on the top. I can tell it takes more to get it going but it's a clean smooth rolll on.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Zixxer, really nice setup! I had sworn that I wouldn't touch the wheels/rims on my new 450, but your pictures have me second guessing myself! I had a few questions:

1.) I noticed you opted for the Sumitomo ST908 traction tires. Have you done any winter driving? I'd love to get impressions particularly when it comes to snow. I live in the northeast and don't want to sacrifice winter performance.

2.) Any issues with the wide-track front end? I know you mentioned having to trim some of the inner fender, but do you have full use of the turning radius with the 22.5s?

3.) AMFC seems to offer this package with 4 forged aluminum wheels and two inner steel wheels. Out of curiosity, which did you choose? Any reason to stick to the 6 forged wheels versus going with the steel inners?

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
And can you see the steel inners?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
You can only see the steel wheels if you are down peering through the outer rim. They are so deep it's hard to see and they are black.

We just had some snow and the traction is great. I went out just to see how they handled.

·
Registered
170 Posts
LOL I said that too!

Zixxer, really nice setup! I had sworn that I wouldn't touch the wheels/rims on my new 450, but your pictures have me second guessing myself! I had a few questions:
QUOTE]

LMAO, i told myself with my f350 dually! I told my wife, if the truck doesn't sell (i just listed it,because this 5th wheeling isn't for us)....i'm sorry, going to have to do this. :icon_rolleyes: Its not my fault...its your fault zixxer. lol:no:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
:) Sorry

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I do believe if you go with a 22" or 24" rim to run the LT tires then you have to go with all 6 aluminum rims since no one makes a 22" steel (I guess you can't shave them down like the aluminums - at least that's what I've been told).

These 450's actually sit pretty level as it is, and you really seem to notice it when you put on the larger tires. When I measured mine there was only 1/2 difference.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I do believe if you go with a 22" or 24" rim to run the LT tires then you have to go with all 6 aluminum rims since no one makes a 22" steel (I guess you can't shave them down like the aluminums - at least that's what I've been told).

These 450's actually sit pretty level as it is, and you really seem to notice it when you put on the larger tires. When I measured mine there was only 1/2 difference.
That's correct...you get a "milled" finished inner as a default. You can go with all polished for additional charges.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Truck looks great, I love that setup, my previous truck was a Dodge 3500 with the 22.5 Alcoa classics and the Sumi's couldn't have been happier. I had about 70k on the tires when I sold the truck with little wear on them, and they handled a load like it wasn't even there. Don't know what pressures you are running but I had great luck with 60lbs in the fronts and 40lbs in the rears.

Seeing your truck makes me wish I would have got a dually. Enjoy, looks awesome!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Sumitomo ST908 Tires - I really like them. I thought it would be super rough ride but frankly its firm, not rough. I will put Sulastic springs on the back this weekend (weather premitting) to smooth it out even more.

Rear pressue at 45 and fronts at 55.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts