The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have run into this scenario.

You take your 6.4L into the dealer for a coolant flush. You have either reached your 5 year life, or you're at the mileage or the coolant didn't pass the nitrite test. In any case Ford has a very specific coolant flush procedure for the 6.4.

I called 4 dealers inquiring about the cost... All the dealers were in the ball park, ~$180. I asked them how could they charge such a little amount when the procedure required removing the T-Stat's flushing the system with VC-9, idling for an hour, then removing the block drains, which one of them requires removing the starter.... Then use a Vacuum system to refill....

They all gave me the same answer.... We don't do the Ford flush, we use a flushing machine. There's NO need to run VC-9 and do all that work. Some dealers didn't even know about the Ford procedure....

How many of you have flushed your coolant and what method did you and or your dealer use....

·
Registered
131 Posts
If the $180 coolent flush works as well, I would have gladly paid that as I did the full blown remove the T-Stat flush. I had $130 in coolent and cleaner alone plus another $20 in damaged spring clips and water and $110 bucks in an Air lift tool, and $20 bucks in beer, and the list goes on. Not to count my 8+ hours of labor.

So the question is a basic flush and fill as good? I will be curious to hear.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I refuse to do those snake oil Wynns/BG coolant "flushes". All they do is exchange coolant, leaving much of the old coolant behind. There is no pressure behind the machine. The quick and dirty way to do it is add a bottle of VC-9, drive the vehicle for 5 miles. Drain the radiator, remove the block plugs. Refill the system with distilled water, drive another 5 miles. Drain the cooling system again, refill with distilled water and VC-7 using a vacuum refill tool.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hey guys this might sound like a stupid question but when they say use distilled water for the flush is the 5 gallon jugs of "purified" water you buy from the grocery store the same water as "distilled"?It doesn't say distilled on these but it says purified. Reason I am saking is because I can't find "distilled" water for less than $3.00 a gallon. I just don't want to go through all the trouble & find out this water could cause problems. Thanks
08 f350 job 1, h&s mini max with dpf/cat delete, sinister egr/cooler delete, 6000k beamers hid head & foglights, kmc xd hoss wheels w/35x12.5r20 nitto trail grapplers, 2.5" leveling kit, dieselsite coolant filter,

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys this might sound like a stupid question but when they say use distilled water for the flush is the 5 gallon jugs of "purified" water you buy from the grocery store the same water as "distilled"?It doesn't say distilled on these but it says purified. Reason I am saking is because I can't find "distilled" water for less than $3.00 a gallon. I just don't want to go through all the trouble & find out this water could cause problems. Thanks
Use distilled. It has no minerals....

I found this on another site:

Distilled water. Distillation is a process by which water is boiled until vapor is produced. This vapor is collected and cooled until it returns to a liquid state. Because minerals are too heavy to be carried by the vapor, the resulting water is completely free of additives. A desalination plant is a perfect example of distillation- salt water is boiled, the vapor is cooled and collected, and the salt and minerals are left behind. However, distilled water is also very unpalatable in its natural state. Desalination plants must also add some minerals in order to make the water usable for general consumers.

Distilled water is perfect for applications where minerals and contaminants would cause problems. Distilled water can be used in irons for steam settings or as coolant for car engines. Because there are no minerals that can stain or build up, distilled water is mostly recommended for use in machinery and cleaning products. It is not particular good to drink distilled water, because it has a tendency to pull minerals out of the bloodstream and other areas. Distilled water is perhaps the cleanest version of bottled water available, but it is not good for human consumption.

Purified water. Purified water denotes a process by which contaminants and/or minerals have been removed from any water source. It could be tap water which has been forced through a charcoal filter or water treated with ultraviolet light at the grocery store. The designation 'purified' can be applied rather broadly, so a consumer should not be swayed by its use on a label alone. Distilled water is by definition purified, but it is not a good water for drinking. Spring and well waters may have been filtered or deionized or ozonated, which would make them pure by a looser definition.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've had mine done twice. I don't care how they did it. It's in their records that they did it, if anything happened they can't point the finger at me and void my warranty. My dealership is pretty good at following the rules, but I'm not sure they would do all of that

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had mine done twice. I don't care how they did it. It's in their records that they did it, if anything happened they can't point the finger at me and void my warranty. My dealership is pretty good at following the rules, but I'm not sure they would do all of that
If your dealer did it the way Ford states in their procedure, then your dealer is the exception. I've called several dealers all stated the same, we use the coolant flush machine. Which is fine to me, but why would Ford specifically layout a procedure for the 6.4L is it's not required.

The only way to use the coolant flush machine on a 6.4L is to evacuate the system through the degas bottle. The return/supply lines from the degas bottle are very small, so the exchange procedure would take quite a bit of time and not to mention, not exchange all the coolant out.

The coolant flush machine does not flush the system of contaminants, it only exchanges the coolant. So, if you have any build up within the block/radiator, it won't clean it. This is especially critical for the EGR coolers. If you get any restriction within your EGR cooler, you can bet it's going to fail. Temperature variances within the cooler is the #1 cause for failures.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am not sure how the "flush" machines work, but I have had 2 different car transmissions flushed with a BG machine in the past and within a year both of those transmissions failed. Ever since I take the time to change the fluids myself or request that they simply drain the old as best they can and refill with new fluid to capacity. I would rather have a bit of old fluid left than risk using a flushing machine ever again. I have not had a failure on anything yet, and it has been 12 years since my last "flushing" experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just flushed mine over and over with the t stat out (just take off the return line to the radiator). Added a filtration system and flushed the system. Add coolant and done. Talked to many many guys with ford PS that have done this with tap water, no issues. Add a filter system (should anyways with these trucks) to help with any natural or mineral build up in the system. Oh and change your filters, Good to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just flushed mine over and over with the t stat out (just take off the return line to the radiator). Added a filtration system and flushed the system. Add coolant and done. Talked to many many guys with ford PS that have done this with tap water, no issues. Add a filter system (should anyways with these trucks) to help with any natural or mineral build up in the system. Oh and change your filters, Good to go.
Taking t stats out is easy once the EGR is removed otherwise its almost impossible.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can find distilled water at walmart, target and most drug stores and grocery stores..it will say Distilled...and is usually 1-1.29 per gallon bottle.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I took mine into the quicklane here in town. They did the proper procedure. They had it over night.

I know the guys there. They just worked on it between there normal periods of busy.

I had to have mine done because of low nitrites.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In any case Ford has a very specific coolant flush procedure for the 6.4.

How many of you have flushed your coolant and what method did you and or your dealer use....
Sorry to bring up an old thread. But does anybody have the service manual with the ford procedure in it, and if you do could you post it. I really want some clarification on this. Thanks in advance.

ETA: Is it alright to do as what Gofaster23 stated?? Seems like that method would be just as effective as leaving it in elevated idle for an hour?? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here you go.

I did everything but removing the starter. I drained/filled the system with distilled water, ran the truck for an hour (at high idle) drained, filled again with distilled, ran for an hour, drained and refilled with 50/50 Gold Coolant and Distilled.

Sorry to bring up an old thread. But does anybody have the service manual with the ford procedure in it, and if you do could you post it. I really want some clarification on this. Thanks in advance.

ETA: Is it alright to do as what Gofaster23 stated?? Seems like that method would be just as effective as leaving it in elevated idle for an hour?? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry, one more thing you wouldn't happen to have Coolant System Draining, Filling, and Bleeding section too?? Whether you have it or not, thanks for the help bro. It's appreciated

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, I don't. But the draining is covered in the flush I posted. Refilling the system in 6.4 requires a vacuum system. I use an Air Lift system that uses compressed air to create a vacuum and then you fill the system with 50/50 through the Air Lift valve.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So around 20 gallons distilled water, VC-9, 7 gallons premixed gold, air lift tool, and a whole lot of time?? Lol. As far as using the cleaner I hear of people using restore and restore plus is it necessary?? And if I do decide to go with the restore route do you still need the VC-9?? And if you need the VC-9 do you do it before or after the restore products??

1 - 20 of 44 Posts