1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
15,209 Posts
Jason, I tried to follow your internet world story link, and it doesn't give me the article. Appearantly that was just the current days news. Maybe this is the link you had in mind. - Mel. http://www.internetworldnews.com/GetThisStory.cfm?Storyid=C1C8C74C-5347-11D4-977900A0CC40B49B

------------------
Mel and Suzi's 83' F-250HD 4X4 "The Moose Truck" - Hypermax Turbo, GV overdrive, Banks Power pack, Dual Stacks, 35" tires. Winner, Best Equipped catagory, 1st annual FDR, VA. Photo Page 20 near the bottom.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Jason

Please allow me to correct(prop up) the link...

Internet World Story

After going to this page, select Friday July 07, 2000 in the list box and press GET IT!

I'm sorry I don't know a better way to do this

P.S. The same problem exists in the news item on the home page, but my hotmail account is down so I can't email you, sorry.

------------------
2000 Excursion Limited born 11/99 4x4 Toreador Red ext./gray int. 7.3PSD, 3.73LS, Skidplates, Pwr/Htd TeleMirrors, 6CDchanger, HtdBuckets, LT265/75R16D AT, Ford Wraparound deflector, PSDV8 badging, RoofMarkerLights, Tekonsha Sentinel brake cntrlr

·
Premium Member
18,870 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JLester:
Ford-Diesel.Com has NOT been named in the suit.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps your agreement to cooperate with them on the VOPC phone number and a couple of other issues has kept you off their hit list?

Anybody with any sense at Ford's management levels would understand that this website, with the current ownership and management and policies, is an asset to FoMoCo. But I wouldn't count on getting rich by selling the site with it's current name.

------------------
Ole retired guy in west Texas with Darling Wife and Sierra Blanca - the white mountain of a '99.5 F250 diesel-powered CrewCab.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I admit this is my first post on this message board, so you can take what I say with a grain of salt, but please take a look at this link so you can have more information than just what is presented to you by the media.

The link is to a "whois" lookup of the company that owns the "jaguarcenter.com" domain. No smoke or mirrors, you can just easily find this yourself.
http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois?STRING=name+Gapmount+Limited

Doug Hanz, I do not know what the owner is this site told you, but do you honestly believe that he registered this domain earlier this year (January 2000) with the intent of creating a site for wild cats?

Common sense says to me that he just a low-life squatter, just like any other and probably created this page after he heard that Ford was after him for cybersquatting.

Sorry, but I just cannot trust the so-called integrity of a man who also owns (and note that they are for sale!) the domains nudistkids.com teensandanimals.com and sexkids.com.

I have been very critical of the BON website and its one-sided "reporting" of Ford's net-related lawsuits. My point here is that before anyone starts crying tears for the innocent jaguar enthusiast, look at some more facts...

[This message has been edited by truckfan (edited 07-12-2000).]

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
truckfan,
Well your first post was eye opening. That guy is nothing more than pond scum. I don't care whether he had intentions of making a web site about cats, he has anything to do with the vulgarity I saw, he's garbage. I would love to talk to this guy. Actually, not worth my time.
BOb

------------------
99.5SD PSD, CC, Black, 4X4Off Road, Lariat, Superchip Hot, Amsoil from front to back. My 99.5 Superduty Turbo Brake, A-Pillar with Trans Temp, Boost, and EGT Guages. www.riley-enterprises.com Southeastern Rally

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Bob is almost right. But pond scum is too good a term for this type of low life.

Mike

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Scum or sludge? Scum floats; sludge sinks to the bottom!
DH

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, guys, I was had. He has been corresponding with me for the last few days, mostly about jaguars, mountain lions, and other wildlife issues. I asked him some questions about the cats, but it took him a couple of days to get the answers. I did get the impression that he didn't know a whole lot about what he was talking about, perhaps had to ask someone or look it up.

His story was that he was helping his girlfriend's 13 year old daughter with a school project, which turned into the web page.

Still, I stand by my position that a company can't trademark a word in common usage EXCEPT in reference to the area of the product associated with it. In other words, Ford can't force the Federal Reserve to remove Lincoln from five dollar bills because they trademarked the name Lincoln for their line of luxury cars. I was kind of outraged when I learned of the lawsuit over the jaguar page, so I decided to contact the guy. It seems like lately companies have been taking intellectual property laws to extreme.

Doug Hanz

·
Registered
2 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Still, I stand by my position that a company can't trademark a word in common usage EXCEPT in reference to the area of the product associated with it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug,

I certainly agree 100% with you on this. The point of my post was to try to shed some light on whether this particular domain mentioned in the article referenced by Jason really was legit or not.

I hope that what I posted casts some serious doubt on whether this domain was in fact registered in "good faith." The evidence I see certainly tells me otherwise and is a good candidate to attempt enforcement of the Cybersquatter Law...not all domains will be.

On a similar note, I am no lawyer, but I do not believe that Ford could successfully sue Jason over this particular site under the Cybersquatter law, as I don't believe any "bad faith" has been created. Jason provides a great service to the Ford community, but Ford's lawyers could probably find some creative trademark law as leverage. Why they would want to is beyond me, but again, I'm no lawyer!

G

·
0 Posts
Doug,
Your correspondent in the UK certainly doesn't sound like the type of person you would invite for Sunday afternoon tea!

Rest assured there are rats on both sides of the Atlantic. I must say the rats this side do have a little more panache, and are probably a little more unabashed.

The Yanks as we are most often called in the UK are more open about their pursuit of a buck. In the UK there is a tendency to wrap it in a noble and patriotic purpose, and in my generation, on the surface, to behave as if money was of little importance in life. Then again they have been practicing hippocracy much longer and have been assisted and encouraged by the lifestyles of their aristocracy. When they break out of the charade, it can be quite revealing, as the royal family amply demonstrate.

There is a theory that says the British produce so many good actors because most of them are doing it most of the time. I think you encountered this.

Frederick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts