The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with my dealer yesterday; he is part of the Ford factory "Management" Team, and he said that GM was shutting down their Duramax plant for 6 months to re-tool. Also, Dodge and Cummins split the sheet and they are scrambling to find another diesel engine source. Also Ford has a new V-6 that will blow the doors off the current 5.4 and the new V-8 will have 30 more HP than the latest V-10. Biggest thing Ford has to worry about is having a RELIABLE product, is what I told him. Between the 6.0 fiasco and the 6.4 regen/soot bag crap, anything diesel wise would be an improvement, but it better work. He says that Ford is real happy with the results of their extensive testing of the new Scorpion diesel engine and coupled with the 6 speed TorqueShift is one bad ass rig. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
i'll agree that the 6.0 was a fiasco but the 6.4 has been a great motor with a ton of potential. The regen thing isn't the motors fault.
The new scorpion won't be tied to a six speed torqushift, it will be a 6 speed heavy duty version of the transmission that they are using in the current F150 but is supposed to be even better than the torqueshift which I really love, I think it's a fantastic transmission.
I'd be careful of what you believe from a dealer. There is no proof.....that I know of, that Dodge is searching for another diesel supplier. last I heard they were all set with their current 6.7 cummins for quite a while, it doesn't even need urea injection to pass the 10 emmisions. I'm sure if there are issues between Cummins and Dodge then someone will post it here.
I have heard that the D-Max is having issues satisfying the emissions for 10 but the GM publications are saying it is going to be their best d-max yet. I Learned a long time ago that salesman will tell you everything you want to hear to sell a vehicle. I appologize to the salesman on this site but I think you know what i'm talking about when I say that.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
2 6.0 with o problems. put 130k on my latest one in 2 years. i am really looking forward to this new engine because I refuse to buy a 12-14mpg diesel and am almost ready for a new truck.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I can say that dodge still has not released the full info on the 2010 model. ford has three times the info for its 2011 model. something is definitely going on over there (at dodge). i am not sure what but I am only guessing that the fiat bean counters are evaluating the actually value of that product. they have engines that could go in the truck, and possibly boost its sales worldwide as the rest of the world may be more inclined to buy a fiat built diesel than a cummins. after all it is what they are used to. but even if that is the case, i would gather that they would at least run thru the 2010 model year with the truck they had at the detroit and chicago auto shows???

·
Registered
682 Posts
2 6.0 with o problems. put 130k on my latest one in 2 years. i am really looking forward to this new engine because I refuse to buy a 12-14mpg diesel and am almost ready for a new truck.
17 MPG on my 08 F250. Granted unloaded, but I don't believe anyone when they say they get 17+ loaded.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
i have a tendecy to listen to about half of what dealers tell me. fact is, i found a dealer that has a couple of intellegent salesmen as well as service guy's, i dont even bother with others when it comes time to buy my ford's. got tired of knowing more then the dealership's i was trying to deal with! this being said, i dont see dodge and cummins parting real soon. could it happen, yes it could. fiat has a tendecy of useing it's own engine's in much of the equipment it has bought out over the years. a few months back chrysler owed cummins more then 40+ million for it's engines, havent heard the final outcome of this, especially after chrysler field bankruptsy. it will be interesting to see. sure would like to see a cummins option in the f350/450 trucks..

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was talking with my dealer yesterday; he is part of the Ford factory "Management" Team, and he said that GM was shutting down their Duramax plant for 6 months to re-tool. Also, Dodge and Cummins split the sheet and they are scrambling to find another diesel engine source. Also Ford has a new V-6 that will blow the doors off the current 5.4 and the new V-8 will have 30 more HP than the latest V-10. Biggest thing Ford has to worry about is having a RELIABLE product, is what I told him. Between the 6.0 fiasco and the 6.4 regen/soot bag crap, anything diesel wise would be an improvement, but it better work. He says that Ford is real happy with the results of their extensive testing of the new Scorpion diesel engine and coupled with the 6 speed TorqueShift is one bad ass rig. We'll see.
Diesel engines produced before Nov. 20 don't need to meet the new requirements. GM has likely stockpiled engines for 2010CY trucks. Salespeople can tell the truth and lie at the same time.

Every new engine is the best thing ever before release. There is reason to be hopeful about the Scorpion, but the things that go wrong are never seen in testing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I heard that Ford is coming out with a 6 cyl Diesel for the F150. Does anyone know anthing about this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts