The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not often we speak or think about the safety aspects of our trucks until it's needed. Yesterday I was driving through an intersection and I was T-Boned in my 2011 F-250 (Lariat) 6.7 diesel on the driver's side by a Honda Accord. This pushed me out of the intersection causing a secondary impact with the light pole. Once my truck came to a stop I heard the Onstar activate and said it detected an accident. I thought holy crap it works!

I got out of the truck with only slight muscle stiffness at the time. The side impact airbags and the design of the truck I feel greatly minimized the injury to me. I am not a safety expert but I have complete confidence in the Ford F-250 and it's design. I will continue to feel safe having my family in this truck.

I am expecting my truck to be a total loss and the used value will not get me into a new one. I took care of this truck and it was immaculate! Sucks to think I won't find another truck similar to this as clean. I am forced back into the market for a new one. I could only hope the aluminum bodies are equally as safe but I am sure the design features in the newer trucks have to be improved over the last 8 years.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,361 Posts
Wow! Hope everyone else was OK as well.
I'm sure that's a total. That sucks. I would be bummed if that happened to me. I'd probably be hurt worse, cause I only have the two front air bags.
I hope the other guy's insurance makes you whole. Unfortunately, that's not that likely.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fingers crossed but the other person was also ok....They only had initial impact but side impact air bags work well!

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Damn ...glad to hear all is well with you. Trucks come and go...there's only one of you.

Not sure when Ford used OnStar in factory builds. I'll take your word for it....LOL

·
Registered
242 Posts
Wow that was tough to see. Glad you only have some score muscles. Maybe you can get into a 15 or newer. they do take into consideration how nice the truck is. Don't forget to include the tires and wheels and any other mods you made to the truck. They give you money for that.
I had this happen to me in a Durango that i took great care of and no way did they make me whole. The deer i hit didn't have a dime to it's name.
Keep us posted on how things work out for you

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Fords are built tough. Had a 2014 F150 that I had totaled when a driver lost control on ice and slid across the lane in front of me. Hit going 45 MPH. I hit so hard it rippled the frame front to back, the right fender was smaller than a pizza box, and all I got to show for it is a small scar on my left shin, and my ribs were injured from the seat belt, but I essentially walked away from that one. Chest still hurts though 3 years later. Hope you fared better!

After being in two hard crashes in Fords and walking away from both, I can't see myself driving anything else. Kudos to Ford engineering making the safest on the road.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assumed it was On-Star if it wasn't what do the trucks have that come on saying an accident detected.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
On-Star is a GM feature.....not a Ford feature.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I assumed it was On-Star if it wasn't what do the trucks have that come on saying an accident detected.

Sync 911 assist. It uses your cell phone to call 911 in the event of a crash. Yes, it works provided the battery and phone survive the crash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
rcklnhunter, look at buying a 2017 or newer replacement truck. The federal roof strength standard was improved and mandatory by 2017 and newer cars. Before then, the super duty roof strength on a rollover was poor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts