The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Road prep/truck n trailer.
2012 Ford 6.2 w/4.30 axle towing Sabre 5th wheel rv. Estimated combined weight 17,500. Starting with MC 5w20/Mc 820-s oil filter an fluids checked. 80 psi in tires. Truck tool box full; tools, 2 cases water, 2 cases drinks and full cooler. Extra 5 gal gas. 5th wheel; two full propane tanks, 10 gals fresh water. 6 gal water heater full. black tank prepped chemicals and two gals water. Frig/freezer packed full. Food/clothing/pot/pans/pets/human food/snacks, drinks.

Starting in southern Mo heading Nortwest. Around Kansas city then North I-29 through Iowa toward Sious Falls, SD. Starting out using the tow haul mode locking out 5th gear. To much shifting 5th n 6th. Hit a Bad North head wind all the way up to SD. Switched to Manual Mode and due to bad head wind held the throttle to the floor in 4th gear using 5th gear twice. Steady in 4th gear for 5 hours pinned with AC on consistant 3300 rpms. Mpg=6.3. From Sioux Falls headed west I-90 through WY and MT. I really liked the manual mode and I think it ran a lot smoother rpm wise. Tow haul mode slowing down then upshifting and reving. In the manual mode I could look a mile ahead at hills coming and just push the + or - down or up for gearing. Normally using 4th on hills, couple times using 3rd. Traveling speed was 60-65. Couple times 70 to pass. Rpm wise it rolled nicely along at 2.5-3100 rpms. On occasions used my cruise control 4th & 5th gear. Hills would see rpms 3100-4500 depending on terrain. Still not bad and was not noisey in cab. Averaged 6-10 mpg depending where we were. We visited all the National Parks(Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, Tetons Etc...). Passing through 6 different mountain passes and continental divide twice. Using the manual mode going up and down. Very little brake usage on truck or trailer. My trailer brake controller set at 7 for the rv. Most of the time going up used 3rd and maybe 3 times switching to 2nd gear to reach top of pass. Doing this held the truck/trailer at 55-60 over the passes. Going down same thing using the gearing to hold back truck/trailer. Only really tough climbing was when climbing to the Grand Canyon. The temperature was 115 and we had been on the road for 4 hours already and crossed two passes with the AC running. Climbing one of the last hills I had to drop to 2nd gear reving to 5500 rpms. I kept hearing the engine whooshing sound. My wife even said should we stop and let the truck rest. I looked at all my temp gauges and they were all steady and never moved. Throttle was to the floor but never did stop and after looking at the trees outside bent over realized we were hitting a head wind again. Came to the conclusion the sound was a combination of wind, heat, engine. Truck never missed a beat. We averaged 280 miles a day. Which lead to 5-7 hours a day on the road. Stopping for breaks, gas, lunch getting to our next camping site. We did two one nite camps and the rest averaged 2-7 nites. Using the truck to go and see all the sites and attractions. And that could be a half day or whole day affair again on the road. Yellowstone and Tetons especially. I did take and extra air filter in case of hitting a dust/sand storm. Also, at 3300 miles. I replaced the oil filter with a new MC 820-s and added another quart of MC 5w20. Figured spent $3.89 for the filter it was cheap insurance getting some of the sludge out. All in all the truck performed flawless and never once hipcupped. I put it to the test all day running at seriously high heat. Checked the fluids a few times and all was good. My Ford manual says to run 87 octane gas and that is what I did. 87 or higher(more 88) on octane. I did notice that most highway sign advertising low gas was for the 85 octane. Mostly 88 was what they called the mid grade. Ran fine. Maybe a little over kill but I purchased a 5 gallon Swedish made Jerry can and holder for the trip. Kept 93 octane in it. Switched it out twice on the trip. I kept and eye on gas guage and when it was heading toward the 1/4 tank I started looking. I do remember somewhere between Wy and MT about the time I was looking a Sign on the road said, "Gas now or Gas can later". So, I pulled in and filled up at a Crow Nation gas station. So,, our trip went well with truck n trailer. Manual mode worked the best for me, reminding me of my old 1984 F250 stick. But I didn't have to push in a clutch pedal. Total mileage was just under 6,000 miles and 6 weeks on the road. At home my oil life meter said 18 percent. So, fresh MC5w20/oil filter. Right over 40000 miles on the odometer. Ready for another trip. Actually believe I did get the top end completed on this trip. The truck what to fly now. Sorry for being lengthy on report but wanted to share how the 6.2 performed. Thanks for reading. Comments...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
The whoosh is the engine fan coming on. The fan on that truck pulls way more air than 1/2 ton models and when it comes on 100% they are L O U D. Many times it will only come on partially and the noise is not enough to notice.
That engine in that truck is an electric controlled fan clutch and the engine computer can pick multiple levels and will only use the full speed one rarely.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Great report!

I think a few more guys on here asking if they should buy a diesel to pull their camper or boat a couple times a year should read this. So you got 6-10mpg for a few weeks out of the year...so what. For the rest of the year, you don't have to deal with $300 or something stupid for filter/fluid changes or worrying about bad fuel and a 10K repair bill on the fuel system. I'm afraid as technology has progressed, daily driver diesels make less and less sense.

I sure would like a manual shift auto trans. in my truck... When I bought my truck new, I asked the dealer about using the cc on/off buttons on the steering wheel to connect to the computer to manual shift. He said it probably could be done but a bunch of labor would be involved figuring it out.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Really proud of my truck. And other than short camping trips. Now, I know what it will do on weeks of traveling. Also, thanks Jimmy for clearing up the engine whoosh noise. Now that I think of it, makes sense about a fan noise. Traveling in 115 heat, AC on, head wind and hours on the road, plus climbing in 2nd at 5500 rpms. Glad to hear it has a way to cool it down. Had me looking at the gauges.:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts