The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 1999 Super Duty V10 Manual Transmission 4x4. The truck has 126K miles. Runs great. I don't drive it much, just use it to pull my boat and tractor.

It often sits for weeks without using it. A few weeks ago I went to start it and it would crank and crank, but wouldn't even start to catch. I let it sit for a few min came back and it fired right up. I drove it a few times over the weekend without a problem.

Then today, same deal. Crank and crank and crank for 10 min and nothing. Didn't even start to catch. I went to the tail pipe and didn't smell any gas, which I thought was odd considering i was cranking on and off for 10 min.

Pulled the battery cables then put back on. No change. Gave a squirt of starting fluid and it grumbled to life then ran for 100 miles. Drove it all over town without problem and started many times.

Any ideas as to what could cause this? No CE light or codes with my code reader.

Thank you,

Chris

·
Registered
392 Posts
No gas smell out of the tailpipe? This seems obvious... Check for fuel pressure. I imagine your fuel pump is on its way out.
Quick check is to depress the valve stem on the fuel test port. no fuel spray or a very weak spray means you either have a completely clogged fuel filter or a bad pump. You will need to key on the truck to do this little check.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts