The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This site is dedicated to helping owners of Ford vehicles. I don't see a problem with somebody else asking a valid question or just looking around, but this childish brand war crap is rediculous. I know some of it is for fun, but some of you people need to get a life. If you want to have an argument about who's truck does what, please take it elsewhere. Maybe Jason can help out.

------------------
99.5 250 SC 4X4 PSD Lariat Black and Tan Superchip

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
All please read my topic named "Open letter to Dodge owners" in the "Other" forum. My sentiments exactly, I posted this last night.

Jack

·
Registered
85 Posts
I looked around and didn't see any brand wars going on. I know a few weeks back there were a couple of good ones in full progress. I was told by Jason to keep non-Ford topics in the general diesel section and this makes sense, but what do you do if there is a post that needs to be replied to in the Ford areas but Dodge or Chevy has crept into the conversation? If one wants to give a reply should we just rely on e-mail. This would limit the number of people who might want to participate in a discussion. The particular thread that got me a warning was started by a Ford owner and it was actually a pretty good thread, but a few people seemed to get a little uptight and the results were predictable.

John

------------------

·
Registered
442 Posts
Jason,

I too replied to Jacks thread on the "other" board. How can we allow people to compare trucks without getting nasty. The main reason for reading and posting to Ford/Dodge/Chevy boards is to hear how each performs. A Dodge owner today may be a Ford owner tomorrow and so on. Hearing how each truck match's up is vital to research. You agree?
Thanks,
David

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Good point David. Haven't thought about it that way before. I guess some people just don't want to hear about anything but trucks exactly like theirs.

Jack

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
People on a Ford diesel site don't want to read about Dodges. It's as simple as that.

Jason

------------------
Ford-Diesel.Com Webmaster
1997 F-250 PSD 5-speed Banks Stinger-Plus

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Jason, I know you're the owner of the site here and I respect that but your last post says a lot about the mentality of many, (not all) people on this site. Sorry, but the Dodge folks I have talked to are much more open about the PSD when it may apply to a subject or when it's mentioned. It's unfortunate that people are so closed minded. Later. Yoda and others, if you want to talk about something you can email me at [email protected]. Other than that, I guess I am no longer welcome on this site unless I kiss the PSD owner's butts.

Jack

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Jack,

You and any other Dodge owners are welcome on the site. However, posts about Dodge trucks, Cummins engines, and such are not on-topic in the Ford-diesel specific forums. I created the other forums (General Diesel and Other) to discuss those items.

You may have talked to other Dodge Cummins owners who are open minded, but the majority I have seen are pro-Dodge all the way. I can understand that, but I don't want to read about it in the Ford diesel forums. I like the Dodge Cummins trucks and would probably have one if I could afford both. I do believe the Ford is a superior truck and engine .. that's why I created this site (obviously??).

It's the same way on here. Some people don't mind reading about other trucks, but the majority I have heard from don't care to read about them in the topic-specific forums. Also, Dodge owners who frequent the site should expect us to puff a little about our trucks .. this is a pro-Ford site after all!

Jason

------------------
Ford-Diesel.Com Webmaster
1997 F-250 PSD 5-speed Banks Stinger-Plus

·
Registered
442 Posts
Jason,
I don't think anyone disagrees this is a Ford site. When I was a Ford owner I visited the dodge newsgroup and some other areas since there was not a Dodge forum. I did this to learn about trucks. Since the dodge diesel page went on to become TDR's forum, and requires you to be a member of TDR (which I am) non members (read most ford owners) are not able to post. I don't like this but cannot change it. If you look on your page and the other forums around, the threads that usually have the most replies are the ones that talk about both trucks. This tells me that many folks MUST like the dicussion no matter how they reply. Anyone can avoid subjects just as I do. I usually don't read the lowering threads, cup holder threads and such. I read about failure, mileage, and general durability and performance. If you created a comparison area, what would it hurt (unless it is a resource thing)? The folks that don't care about Dodge or Chevy don't even have to go there. If it doesn't work out, shut it down. Each year, Ford / Dodge / and GM change the rules. When GM releases their new Izuzu, I will one of the first to drive it. You can bet I will post what I find. You can also bet I will be finding the best discussion area on them and see how they hold up. I thought that was what these forums were for.

You have the best forum on the net for diesels. You should be proud of that and allow other non Ford opinions to complete the info.

Thanks for the ear.

David

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Jack,

How many times do we have to go through this? It's not a question of being open- or closed-minded, it's simply a question of being on-topic. Ford and PSD info is; Dodge and Cummins info isn't. Simple as that. Posting off-topic anything in these sites, or any other sites with well-publicized ground rules, is just being rude to the users of that site who do stay on-topic. If I go to the Dodge page and post a bunch of Ford stuff (after paying my $35), I'm not being open-minded, I'm being rude to the Dodge people on that group. If people wanted Dodge info, they shouldn't be looking for it here, this being www.Ford-Diesel.com and all. Or, as I should say, they shouldn't be looking in the Ford forums, they should be in General Diesel or Other.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want you to leave. All I want is for the Ford-specific forums to be totally devoid of Dodge info. This site is a tremendous asset to the Ford/PSD owner and I don't want to see anything take away from that. After all, there are 3,000 registered users here. If each one posted just one off-topic and irrelevant topic to the '99-up PSD forum, that forum would become totally worthless. I don't want that to happen.

------------------
"Moby" a.k.a. Oxford White 2000 F350SD SC SRW LWB 4x4 PSD 6SP X31 617A Z1 22 99F 446 55R 531 T4R 63T XD1 592 54Y 67B 924 948 86R 433 58K 18L 674 90P 96P.
Born on 8/20/99, brought home 9/8/99.

Michael Kasimirsky

·
Registered
85 Posts
Michael:

I have to disagree with you. It is a matter of being open-minded. If someone comes on here and starts a brand war, Jason should act accordingly, but I'll speak for myself on why some posts should be allowed. I'm new to Diesel ownership. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about Diesels and whether you want to admit it or not, the most relevant information is usually exchanged in the Ford sections, not the General Diesel or Other forums. I'm pretty much hooked on Dodge, but you never know, what I learn here may change my mind someday, which is what Jack is getting at I think. I'm very interested in the Ford trucks and how they are put together. It's a free exchange of information or at least it should be and I would hope that the Dodge site would be open to this information. And to the post about you Ford guys puffing up about your trucks, well I would be disappointed if you didn't and would wonder why you didn't buy a Dodge.
Good truckin'

John

------------------
1999 Dodge Ram 3500 5 spd, 4:10 LSD rear, Mag-Hytec diff. cover, Speedliner spray in bed-liner, Smittybuilt step rails. Rammin' and Runnin' the roads

[This message has been edited by John Berger (edited 09-10-1999).]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Jason,
I view my truck the same way you do, I love it and I think it's the best thing on the road. I also have a great respect for the Ford PSD and if I could own both I probably would. Please tell me what to do. If there is a post in the PSD area (whether or not if it started out as an original PSD thread) and someone posts something with distorted facts(like Ford owns Cummins or something). Do you wish for me not to reply?
Should I wait and see if it gets moved to another area? And possibly lose the opertunity to set things straight if it doesn't get moved.
I try not to start or add to any brand wars. You are the webmaster here, and I will abide by your rules

------------------
92 Dodge 250 Cummins, auto, 4x4,Black

·
Registered
124 Posts
Perhaps there could be a "Comparisons" forum under "Other Topics". This could be useful to 1) those who come here looking for info on what truck to buy 2) isolate (hopefully) those who are hung up on the mine is better/bigger than yours nonsense.
Also, maybe most important of all, there could be a "Diesel Unity" forum to enable a voice against the festering anti diesel movement. Left unchecked it may become as big a lie based infection as the gun control movement.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
John,

While I understand your sentiments, to be painfully honest there is nothing, at all, about a Dodge truck that will be relevant to a '99-up SuperDuty PSD owner. The two share no common parts, the engines use two totally different injection mechanisms, etc. Other than the fact that both are pick-up trucks and both burn Diesel fuel, there's nothing similar about them. So, unless your post has to do with Diesel jelling or a fuel additive or some other very generic topic, it's not relevant, nor is it on-topic.

In your case, you can read all you want to learn about Diesels, but then again, you can read all you want on the Dodge site too. And the stuff posted there regarding injection pumps, reflashing PROMs, etc. will actually be relevant to you. Someone on the '99-up PSD Forum talking about a bad injector or bad torque converters is totally useless information to a Dodge owner. Same with durability discussions, rear end gear ratio choices, 6-speed vs. automatic debates, etc. If you look at all the topics currently on the '99-up forum, probably 95% of them are of no use to you as a Dodge owner.

Now Jack may call me closed-minded, and he's perfectly within his rights to have that opinion, but I personally don't give a rat's butt about Dodges, Cummins Diesels, or anything to do with them, period. I don't own one and probably never will. And if I do decide to look at a Dodge, I'll go to a Dodge group to get info about them. I won't diminish the value of this site to PSD owners by making off-topic posts. Like I said, there's 3,000 registered users here, and probably more on the way given the Dodge site situation. One off-topic post, per person per day, would kill the usefullness of this site for everyone.

------------------
"Moby" a.k.a. Oxford White 2000 F350SD SC SRW LWB 4x4 PSD 6SP X31 617A Z1 22 99F 446 55R 531 T4R 63T XD1 592 54Y 67B 924 948 86R 433 58K 18L 674 90P 96P.
Born on 8/20/99, brought home 9/8/99.

Michael Kasimirsky

·
Registered
464 Posts
The Dodge stuff has gotten so old lately, that I've been somewhat avoiding the site. I've noticed that it has tapered off in the past week or so. When I have a problem with my Dodge truck, I go to the TDR site. When I want info on my Ford truck, I come here. When I was deciding what to buy, I visted both - but remembered what my momma taught me "keep your ears open and your mouth shut."

I've noticed that since the TDR site started charging $35, the Ford owners are pretty much gone. Of course a lot of other people are gone too. They only have a couple of hundred registered members, vs. our 2500-3000. and only a couple of hundred posts on the 94-00 Dodge page, vs. our nearly 30,000. I guess the volume speaks for itself? If the problems persist, I wouldn't mind seeing that a person has to establish proof of ownership, or at least an order slip, for a Ford with the PSD to post on this site. Of course that would take time to process, and time is money, so I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable registration fee - anything to keep the off-topic Dodge stuff off the site. My own feeling is, if you are secure with your choice, you have no reason to question antone else on theirs.

------------------
99.5, 350, 4x4, DRW, CC, Lariat, ESOF, 4R100, 4.10 LS, Camper Pkg, Trailer Pkg, Off-Road Pkg, Oxford White/Prarie Tan, Line-X bedliner

·
Registered
731 Posts
I for one hope that jthorpe sticks around. I appreciate all input. His post in the Other forum about the Dodge guys was appropriate and well thought out. If D**ge built a crew cab I probably would have bought one of theirs a couple years ago. Bottom line, both are great trucks, both have their problems.

"This site is dedicated to helping owners of Ford vehicles."

Yes it is, but more it is dedicated to owners of Ford Diesels. The Dodge and GM diesel owners may not be family but they are cousins. If we aren't careful AlGore & Company will try to pull the plug on all of us. So I hope the Dodge boys stick around.

That said, I agree with the idea of a comparisons forum and I am also sick of all the product bashing (on both sides).

------------------
2000 F250 SD CC 172" WB 4x4 Lariat,Dp Wdgwood Blue/Harvest Gold, PSD, 6SP, TT, 54E Telescoping mirrors, ESOF, LS, Capt Chairs, CD, etc.
Adding BedRug, Extang Black Max, Ignition Override, ISSPRO Pyro/Boost Guages, A-Pillar Mount, Ford Fog Lights and Mud Flaps
Ordered: 7/26/99, Status: To be built 9/21, ETA week of 10/11

·
Registered
442 Posts
Jack,

I agree. This is getting way out of hand. I don't think any of Dodge guys care to or need to post in the forums other than the Other or General diesel areas but it still seems that the Ford guys don't want us here period. Still have not seen a response from Jason on why he cannot set up a LD diesel comparison area. I still think that is a good idea.

If it comes down to providing proof of ownership to participate on this web page I won't bother. The real losers will be all of my friends that are not internet active who cannot read this site and rely on me to keep them up to date.

Oh well...life will go on.
David

·
Registered
61 Posts
Why can't we all play nicely and get along.

Seriously, If it's good information who cares what the author drives. Good information is hard to find. Get it where you can. My .02 worth

------------------
97 F250, CC, SB, E40D, Ford front add-a-leaf, Black W/Stainless Trim.
84 F250 W/300 I6

1 - 20 of 23 Posts