The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that the Navistar (IH) version of the 6.0 Powerstroke was a much more reliable engine system. Name is the VT 265, I think.

If Navistar sourced the Ford motor, why would the Navistar version be better?

What are the differences between the two? What is the history of the 6.0 design?

I've searched, but cannot find the answer to this.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I've never seen anything indicating it's more reliable. Since it's primarily use in medium-duty, commercial vehicles you don't hear as much about the issues.

The biggest difference between a VT365 and a 6.0L is the 365 is less horsepower and runs at a lower maximum speed. Other than that, it's basically the same engine.

·
Registered
368 Posts
VT365. Just indicates cubic inches instead of liters. Same basic engine as the 6.0, but with some changes of the external components. Navistar does seem to have far fewer problems then Ford and the reason is most likely because they carry a lower HP rating. Their torque band is probably considerably different then Ford's. In heavier trucks, such as the ones Navistar puts that engine in, the object is long life under constant heavy load. In pickups you have one diesel choice per manufacturer. To win the horsepower race in the world of pickups the manufacturer keeps boosting the output. In heavier trucks you most always have several engine choices and power ratings. If one isn't rated high enough for the job you specify a larger one, or you specify a higher rating, knowing that you will most likely get less engine life.

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
I think the main difference in reliability is that there are not forums like this for medium duty trucks, and the people driving those trucks usually don't own them.

In other words the problems are there, they just don't make it to the internet.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
And not all of the filters and accessory pieces cross over either. I cannot remember if it was the Fuel filters or the oil filter that is different.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
E-Series vans with the 6.0 are rated at 235HP, same as most International trucks with that engine. The higher cylinder pressures needed to make more HP may be causing some of the engines problems.

Vans with 6.0 are more reliable than F-Series pickups with higher HP ratings. Headgasket failures are almost non-existant in vans, EGR/Oil Cooler problems are very rare in vans.

Injectors and turbos fail in both applications.

Mike

·
Registered
266 Posts
Don't they come with coolant filters and fleetrite elc?

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've never seen anything indicating it's more reliable. Since it's primarily use in medium-duty, commercial vehicles you don't hear as much about the issues.

The biggest difference between a VT365 and a 6.0L is the 365 is less horsepower and runs at a lower maximum speed. Other than that, it's basically the same engine.
I think the main difference in reliability is that there are not forums like this for medium duty trucks, and the people driving those trucks usually don't own them.

In other words the problems are there, they just don't make it to the internet.
Thats what I'm thinking also!

E-Series vans with the 6.0 are rated at 235HP, same as most International trucks with that engine. The higher cylinder pressures needed to make more HP may be causing some of the engines problems.

Vans with 6.0 are more reliable than F-Series pickups with higher HP ratings. Headgasket failures are almost non-existant in vans, EGR/Oil Cooler problems are very rare in vans.

Injectors and turbos fail in both applications.

Mike
Unfortunately we wish there was a more version more reliable, but the 6.0s in the E series have all the same problems of the F series. Our shop works on just as many vans as trucks, all for the same problems. There are at least two or three Econolines in our shop at all times. Most are ambulances and super high mileage buses.

Sorry, not trying to burst you bubble:icon_wink:

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
E-Series vans with the 6.0 are rated at 235HP, same as most International trucks with that engine. The higher cylinder pressures needed to make more HP may be causing some of the engines problems........
Mike
Hate to be another contrarian to your statement, but I've been corrected on that point in another forum by an International employee that the peak cylinder pressures are actually higher in the 235hp version for more lower rpm torque.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Fuel filter is different. We use the one for the VT265 on our 6.0s.
I've used the International part numbers for both fuel and oil filters for the last 60k miles without an issue (though I have a spin-on oil filter now). They look identical in fit and appearance to the Motorcraft parts, down to the misc markings on the parts, but at roughly half the price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts