Discussion Starter #1
so my 2 month 2 thousand mile 6.7 spun a bearing
ford idea of a acceptable fix is a short block
so i end up 2 month old $55,000 truck
that the engine was removed and rebuilt by the dealer
cust. service said since the engineers said to just replace the block
not a complete engine or even a long block that cant be changed
thanks ford great customer service
why did it spin a bearing anyway bad block?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry about your problem on such a new truck but Ford for the most part determines how the vehicle will be fixed.The engine wasn't rebuilt ,it had a short block installed.

I'd be interested to see what happened .

·
Registered
507 Posts
I work in the aircraft industry overhauling propeller controls for C-130 and P-3 aircraft. these parts are 40 plus years old. We change the parts that are worn or broke and put it back on the aircraft. It works for airplanes, why isn't a NEW shortblock good enough for you? There was nothing wrong with the heads or other components, and you have a full factory waranty. What's the problem? Sure it sucks that your new truck was apart, but Ford will stand behind it. I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I work in the aircraft industry overhauling propeller controls for C-130 and P-3 aircraft. these parts are 40 plus years old. We change the parts that are worn or broke and put it back on the aircraft. It works for airplanes, why isn't a NEW shortblock good enough for you? There was nothing wrong with the heads or other components, and you have a full factory waranty. What's the problem? Sure it sucks that your new truck was apart, but Ford will stand behind it. I wouldn't sweat it.
I'd be doing more than sweating. Most dealers don't have the capability of effecting such a repair, especially to the standards that a new motor is assembled to.
This might be a acceptable fix at 2-3 years and 25-40K miles.....Definantly not at 2 months and 2K miles. He should get a new truck. Ford can fix their mistake and sell it as used. Probably in the long run would work out better for them.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
From what I've expierenced at dealers over the years I feel for this guy. This is a huge job. I would be worried as well. Hopefully he'll get a good tech and they can get it back into A1 shape. He should have gotten at least a long block with all parts attached so all they have to do is drop it in.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
From what I've expierenced at dealers over the years I feel for this guy. This is a huge job. I would be worried as well. Hopefully he'll get a good tech and they can get it back into A1 shape. He should have gotten at least a long block with all parts attached so all they have to do is drop it in.
I totally agree too. Something was pretty wrong with his first engine to spin a bearing in 2000 miles. I would have really raised cain to get a complete new engine or a replacement truck and let the dealer & FMC fight over the expense and method of the repair.

There's a WHOLE LOT of difference in experience between the FMC factory assemblers experience and a service tech's experience in rebuilding a new engine like the 6.7L. The assembler has seen tens of thousands of engines and this could be the tech's first rebuild.

·
Registered
215 Posts
you will never get one like the factory! it's not only the assemblers,but the machine's that do the torque setting's. will never be like the dealer can that's for sure! long and short blocks go down the line just like a fully ready one for body and assemby truck/mustang engine.know they are not diesel i would think they would do the same at the 6.7 plant.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'd be doing more than sweating. Most dealers don't have the capability of effecting such a repair, especially to the standards that a new motor is assembled to.
This might be a acceptable fix at 2-3 years and 25-40K miles.....Definantly not at 2 months and 2K miles. He should get a new truck. Ford can fix their mistake and sell it as used. Probably in the long run would work out better for them.
Abso-******-lutely. :thdown:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.