The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The information presented here describes how to use FORScan and FORScan Lite on our 7.3L trucks, to read diagnostic trouble codes, run self tests, and monitor important engine parameters. It will be under construction for a few days so I can add some pictures.

Let me know if there is anything you'd like to see here that is not mentioned related to this diagnostic software.

You will find basic instructions for use of this software on the FORScan.org website:

FORScan Lite Instructions - Android
FORScan Instructions - PC
FORScan Lite Instructions - iOS

The FORScan apps can be downloaded here.

For OBDII dongles that connect to the OBDII port under the driver’s knee panel, you have some choices. 3 are listed below.
Note: If the links to these products don’t work – searching on the description should get you what you need.
I’m using the bluetooth OBDII dongle from BAXF with FORScan Lite primarily on my ATOTO S8 android headunit, and sometimes a Samsung S7 android phone, but I've also used it to connect to my laptop running FORScan for Windows.

If using a wireless dongle, verify that you can pair the OBDII dongle with your head unit, phone, tablet or laptop. When the dongle is plugged in to the OBDII port and the key on, you should be able to see the dongle when you scan for devices.

NOTE: Some OBDII dongles like the BAFX shown above have significant parasitic current draw when not in use. It's recommended to unplug these dongles when not using the vehicle for 48hrs or more. The OBDLink devices shown can be left plugged in, due to a sleep mode feature that results in negligible parasitic draw.

When you first download/install and then start the app, there are some things to setup.
Sometimes it’s helpful to view FORScan data in a spreadsheet, and chart the data, rather than use the software’s own charting capability. To use Forscan CSV files in an Excel spreadsheet, a setting needs to be changed. “Comma” delimiting must be selected in order to export CSV files from Forscan that Excel will import correctly.

To update the setting in Forscan Lite:
  • Open the App, scroll down and select Settings

• Select CSV Delimiter

The windows version of Forscan handles CSV file creation differently from Forscan Lite.

When saving your log file, enter the file name you wish to use for the log, and select the File Filter of CSV, comma delimited (*.csv). This will save the log in a format that can be read by MS Excel.
View attachment 160440

View attachment 160441

If you are using a bluetooth OBDII dongle, I also recommend checking "Enable Bluetooth on start" and setting Auto-Connect to "Connect automatically when the application is started". That way, as soon as you tap or click the application icon, it goes to work connecting to the truck.

Let’s setup Forscan/Forscan Lite to capture most of the Parameter Identification Data (PID’s) you might need to troubleshoot an issue. They are listed below.

RPM(1/min) – Engine revolutions per minute

IPR% - IPR duty cycle percentage

ICP(psi) – Injector Control Pressure (select ICP, not ICPV)

VSS(mph) Vehicle speed sensor

FUELPW(ms) – Fuel injector pulse width

MFDES(mg) – Mass fuel desired

EBP_A(psi) – Exhaust back pressure (select the EBP_A and not EBP)
MAP(psi) – Manifold air pressure

IAT(A°F) – Intake air temperature

MAT(A°F) – Manifold air temperature

EOT(A°F) – Engine oil temperature (select EOT, not EOTV)

MGP(psi) – Manifold gauge pressure (boost)

ECT(A°F) – Engine coolant temperature (only available on ZF6)

TFT(A°F) – Transmission fluid temperature (only available on 4R100)

VPWR(V) – Vehicle battery power

TC_SLIPACT(1/min) – Torque converter (only available on 4R100)

Two additional PIDs that might be helpful:

BAROV - Barometric pressure (select PSI instead of the default volts)
APP - Accelerator Pedal Position

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Attached is a PDF of the above instructions, for offline viewing.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts