The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've determined that this forum software doesn't do very well when a single forum contains over about 20,000 messages. In the past, I've simply made the forum read-only, placed it in the archives section, and created a new one. The problem now is that we will be hitting 20,000 in about a month and a half! That means I'll have to rotate the forum several times a year.

Instead of doing that, I'm considering breaking up the 1999-Up forum into several
sub-topics. I know some of you may not like that as well, but I think it will work out better in the long run. I'm still considering how many topics to break it into and what the topics should be. I don't want too much of a good thing, just a few topics to help separate out the traffic. Right now, I've thought of one for ordering information, one for engine/drivetrain only, one for general questions, and one for upgrades/aftermarket
equipment. Any additions or changes? What would you like to see?

Infopop, the company that makes this software, is working on an enterprise version of UltimateBB. It will use java servlets (not java in your browser, the program on the server that actually generates these pages) instead of Perl/CGI. I hope to betatest the product for them and purchase it when it comes out.

Please discuss any forum changes and such in this topic. I'm interested to hear your ideas and will be glad to discuss them. I want to make Ford-Diesel.Com the best it can possibly be.

Thanks,
Jason

------------------
Ford-Diesel.Com Webmaster
1997 F-250 PSD 5-speed Banks Stinger-Plus

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sounds good, Jason. Probably could have seperate ones for discussion concerning electrical systems and one for towing and trailering topics. The ordering information division itself will cut down a lot of the space used.

------------------
99.5 F350 PSD CC DRW red clear coat, all the toys and still stock
Hatched May '99

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Sounds great!
I love the idea, and the sub-topics that you mention would do well I think.
You'll have to tighten up so to speak on the keeping on topic situation, if you want it to work anyway, which will make people mad but I bet they have been mad before

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Jason if choping the forum up helps then why not take the most freqently asked sections in each forum and sepate them into category's the former post sugested!
Ie:fuel related
electrical
suspention
ect each forum haveing a bunch of categorys
I think this would be counter productive thou
becuase if you want to post a general post it might not get read! althou i said that about the split 69-73 forum and I read em both and post on em both but if it gets to broken I don't know as i will use it that much!I know I won't post as much ,but maybe thats an asset!

You got to do what you got to do!

[This message has been edited by Fred Hemer (edited 12-08-1999).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like the idea of having special interest topics on the 99+. I've been browsing the site for a long time, although I've not posted much. The problem is, that lately there are so many threads that I just don't have time to read them all. I just run down the subject line and pick out the ones that look interesting. Whatever you do, don't degrade the search capability. Most of what anyone needs to know has already been answered many times. Thanks, your work providing this site is really appreciated.

------------------
Y2k F350 PSD Lariat SC 4X4 SRW Auto LWB
Island Blue/Harvest Gold
Mag-Hytec pans, Firestone Ride Rite
Edwards Roll-Top, Triple Pillar Guages
Pulling 13K Avion

·
Registered
206 Posts
Great Idea! I would like to ditto Clancy on the Trailering and Towing topics also....This has been a great site to learn from being a new PSD owner..

------------------
F350 crew cab conversion..PSD, Oxford White custom paint, line-x bedliner, full bed, DRW,4.10LS

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I like Fred's suggestion. So under the 6.9 main category, you could have a general forum, an engine forum, drivetrain forum, a chassis forum, electrical/instrument forum, etc., depending on what makes sense from the 6.9 posts.

My $0.02

------------------
Aubrey
87 F350 2wd 133" 6.9 C6 4.10

·
Registered
98 Posts
Really like the idea of 'splitting' up all of the knowledge that lives out there. Maybe you could go with something like: 1. Towing/Trailer/Weight; 2. Engine/Mileage; 3. Body/Aftermarket/Paint; 4. Tires/Misc. Also, would be nice to have a 'live chat room' area.

------------------
Now For Sale: '78 Bronco (165,000 miles), $4,000 and a '92 F-150 (161,500 miles), $4,800.

UPDATE!!

On order - 2000 F-350 Lariat CrewCab with short bed, 4x4, ESOF, Automatic with OD, 3.73 LS, 265/75 AT's, Harvest Gold, Dual alternators, Trailer towing, Off-Road, Class IV receiver, Roof clearance lights, Telescoping trailer tow mirrors, PTO provision, AM/FM/CD radio.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Jason, I like the idea of "trailering". Could it be because I am converting mine to a camper?

Why not consider some topics based upon the subject? Some subjects apply to various makes/models/years.

------------------
High Top Camper
89 E350, 7.3, used as 15 passenger van pool until insurance meet the clouds, now the long body is going to be a camper.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sounds good. I just wonder how difficult it will be to keep each Forum on the topic. It would be bad to have multiple forums covering the same assortment of topics.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
When I read thru the 1999+ Forum there are are repetitive questions being asked by Ford or diesel newbies and people waiting on new trucks. These are valid areas of angst, but the sheet volume floods other concerns. Maybe if someone made up a distillation of the members' collective wisdom on some common newbie concerns (fuel, winter starting,etc), it could be posted as a series of bite-sized articles. The main page could direct people there before asking on the forums. Mr. Bigley does this with the 6.2/6.5 site. That plus FAQ's reduces the volume of the insecurity. I don't claim this will eliminate the newbie angst, but should reduce it.

I would even volunteer to edit such a thing if you can get over four disqualifications:

1. I am a Chevy-driving infidel here.
2. I am a gas truck driving infidel now.
3. I sold a diesl into slavery after a mere 300,000 miles just because the engine came unglued (but it was a Brand G).
4. I can be a windbag.

------------------
Diesel-less in Indiana

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd like to see a 1999 and Up Gasser or V10 forum. Yeah, yeah,I know this is ford-diesel.com, but there are a heck of a lot of us gasser folks that LOVE this forum for all of the non-engine related things we can learn and contribute. it would just sorta be nice if we could share our gasser engine discussions in a place that wouldn't bother the PSD folk but was a little less esoteric than "Other". Sure, someone will suggest that we just go off and start up ford-gasser.com, but why? This is already a premo site and I think this would not be terribly bothersome or offensive to anyone. Well, I thought I'd ask!

------------------
"Red October" 2000/F250/CC/4X4/Lariet/V10/4.30 LS/Red Clearcoat, ordered 10/15, locked 12/1, scheduled 12/6, Build 12/10, ETA 12/27

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Trailering/Towing and or anything RV, using the PSD with slide in camper is a natural. Ford-Diesel.com with a full range RV forum is also a natural. I found this site originally searching for information on camper manufactures and tiedowns for slide-in campers. Thank You Jason this site is invaluable to me. By the way my check is in the mail. Check out my concept site www.truckaboat.com TY/Jimmy

------------------
99.5 F-250 SC with PSD, Black/Tan,SD,SRW,SWB,4x4,Lariat,Auto,Mich.E,OR,TP,CP,HyperTech,K&N,Air-Lift,UNiden 2510/Wilson 5000 CH-19 StrayCAT, S.E.FLA.
Load: LANCE/820 + me & the cat ,towing a lw encl. mc trl. HAPPY TRAILS ! :)

·
Premium Member
18,870 Posts
Ordering and receiving your new Ford Truck
'99-up engine/drivetrain
'99-up upgrades/aftermarket equipment
'99-up towing and hauling RVs
'99-up general questions

That'll do it. Need active, hard-nosed moderators to enforce forum discipline. I'll volunteer to help with the ordering/receiving forum, or with any of the other forums where you need help.

Hey Jason! This is becoming more and more like a huge BBS or even somewhat like a FIDO from the late '80s and early '90s.
Keep up the good work, and thanx a million for being here.

[This message has been edited by SmokeyWren (edited 12-08-1999).]

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Smokey. My wife has been saying I should make you a moderator.

I was there for Fido and ran a fairly large BBS with several fido-type newsfeeds a few years ago until the Internet shut me down
. Much easier on phone bills though .. those nightly calls to transfer messages were killers.

Jason

------------------
Ford-Diesel.Com Webmaster
1997 F-250 PSD 5-speed Banks Stinger-Plus

·
Registered
148 Posts
jason,

the idea that you have to split up the forums sounds good. the only problem i see is that people will get lazy and post anything and everything in the general forum. smokey is right you are going to need some active moderators to move the posts to where they belong.

tim in mem

·
Registered
79 Posts
Would it be possible to have a main page set up as a read only style and then if you see a topic, click and it takes you to that sub-forum where you can reply or read the entire thread? Obviously don't know much about computers, just inquiring.

------------------
White 99.5 (Built 2-9-99) F-250 XLT 4x2 Crew Cab SWB w/ CD, pwr mirrors, grill guard, & Westin steps

·
Registered
120 Posts
What about using a naughty language checker on each of the sub forums - each one set with a list of keywords used primarily in one of the other topics. That way - posting about ordering process would get blocked from all forums BUT where it is supposed to be.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I vote for Smokey to be a mod

And also his splitting ideas. Those seem to be the most logical lines of division.

Vancouver: The forum software would simply place **** where the words would be. It wouldn't work. It would probably require much more sophisticated natural language program that...

1. Probably doesn't exist for this purpose
2. Costs more than my truck if #1 is false

Oh by the way:

Only 4 more days of school left this semester... Then I code the hell out of the FAQ

SP

------------------
Shawn Pryde
Ford-Diesel.Com Moderator
[email protected]
Have you seen the 1999 Faq?
1999.5 F250 PSD CC 4x2 LWB Black over Tan, 3/23/99

·
Registered
186 Posts
Smokey for prez!
i like the idea of breaking up the 99 forum. smokey's break-downs look well thought out (imagine that)--they are to the point (it might have to be done w/the other forums eventually)
is there any way to have the 99+ have their own "todays active topic" list....it seems as if i have to scoll through 2-3 pages of their stuff to get to the pre-PSD active topics......

1 - 20 of 40 Posts