The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a '94 XLT 4-door dually long bed 2WD with a big aux. tank in the bed plumbed to the rear tank (I didn't check exactly how), a 5th wheel, red inside & out with beat-up full-length diamond-plate running boards, front PW (not PM, and I don't remember seeing a PL switch), a slightly mismatched LHR wheel well, a custom interior (wood & red velour including a long overhead console - NOT in great shape), and the residue of some external customizing (probably grab handles). The A/C works; the cruise might work; you can almost see the air through the tires; the batteries seem to be OK; the engine purrs like a kitten and responds instantly to the pedal; but the transmission doesn't even THINK about pushing the truck, in any gear. He says there was a snap then a clunk as he pulled out from a light, and that was it. No hint of a problem up to that point. He said he originally had a shift kit put in for pulling, but it always hit 2nd hard. There is no apparent rust OR DENTS - even the bumpers seem to be pretty straight. All the glass is good, but I didn't notice if the rear window was split. It's just grimy outside from being used as a work truck, and then being parked under trees for nearly a year.

Is this something I should run away from? Or is there a price at which it would be a good investment. I'm pretty sure I can get the E4OD rebuilt right for <$2K (maybe closer to $1K), and I'll R&I it myself. It won't be something I depend on - just a spare truck for when I need to pull something heavy or far. I plan to clean it up & make it look nice, and make it more comfortable & modern inside, but I'll probably never repaint it.

What's it worth as-is? What would it be worth with a good transmission?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
The last one I bought was 3,000 for a 93 with a rough body, but runs and drives well. I tend to stay away from auto trannies for the fact that no one ever takes care of them, and they are always trouble, if not right off the bat, then later on. I try not to spend a whole lot of money on one until I know there will be a pay-off. Knowing that there is a trans. rebuild from the get go, I wouldn't offer any more than 1,000 for it, but that is just my not-so-humble opinion. As has been stated on this forum before, you should pay something you are both happy with. Look at the repairs you want to, or need to make, then make your decision based on what you want to spend for the finished product including the purchase price. What it is worth to me isn't necessarily what it is worth to you.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, with a perfect transmission, I'd be into it somewhere around $4K. And although it'll be a LOT of truck for $3.5-4.5K, it's certainly more truck than I'll ever need. I can actually get by with a couple of Broncos & a little F150. But I want a skidsteer (also just for around the house) and I'm doing more vehicle work at home, so I'd like to be able to tow a little heavier than the Broncos can handle comfortably.

I sold the Chevy in my avatar years ago, but it gave me a taste for that stability & capacity. I'd really prefer a PS 7.3L turbo, but the prices on them are getting crazy around here.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
It sounds pretty rough. No, I don't think that it would be a good investment. If you really want it, then I would suggest offering $500 for it, with the knowledge that it is going to take a lot to get it into running condition. Honestly, you would probably be a lot better off finding something in better condition to start with.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy has mentioned that he's not coming off his asking price substantially, so I'll probably pass. For $4K, I think I could find something better.

Thanks to both of you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts