The Diesel Stop banner

freeze plug help

19K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  icanfixall 
#1 ·
The cause of a coolant leak was the freeze plug on the back of the motor on the drivers side. It is bulged out slightly on one side. What would cause this. I need to replace this freeze plug but need specific info as I had to pull tranny/tcase/clutch/starter/adapter plate to get to it. I tried briefly to punch a hole with cutting torch but decided to stop when the stainless steel didnt melt quickly as I was hoping. Drilling a hole with a drill bit or a carbide burr would be my next choice so that I can pull the plug without beating on it with a punch and hammer. This is new territory to me so any and all help is appreciated as I sure need it!!!!

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Looks like factory

The frreze plugs I think are the ones that came from the factory. they all have a dimple in the center. The replacement plug I have to go into the block is looks like the ones in the block but doesnt have the dimple it came from a IH dealer. I read on some old post by searching freeze plugs and someone mentioned that the dimple is caused by a special tool for these plugs that seals them. Too Much and it wont seal and not enough and it wont seal. I called local IH dealer today and they said they dont use special tool. I called local another IH dealer ane got the same story. The plugs in the block have a funny looking dimple in them and my replacement does not. I sure would like to know what to do because the trouble of removing the tranny etc if this plug dont seal will be great.
Looking for the Answer. thanks

Discussion starter · #20 ·
Thanks very much to all

Although I think the shop who pressure tested the block missed th ball on this block when the leak became apparent after motor isntallation. I also must share some blame thru my inexperience and not noticing the slight bulge around the plug. I had to either pull motor again or tranny. I chose tranny/transfer case etc. We live in a county with only two redlights so you get the pic on local expertise/knowledge with this motor. When I tried the ford place nearest here they are as usual cluless about any procedures on a 7;3 IDI. and getting parts is like pulling teeth. I usually call around to dealerships etc but find that this forum specifically for the 7.3 will yield either the specific information and procedure or the next best thing, Either way I can assure you it is far superior to the info I have aquired locally. For Example I ran into the IH parts guy (young guy) at the hardware store in the next county over, I asked him about installaing th ss freeze plug I had purchased from him the other dayand about the special tool. His advice was to use a socket to tap the plug into the hole but mentioned nothing about dimpleing it to make it seal. So you see why I cherish all the comments i recieve from this forum. I realize some of the beliefs of the posters are slightly contrary to each other and may even disagree but by reading them and checking up on them I am able to with good concience figure out what I think is the best thing to do under the circumstances,be they normal circumstances or unusual, Since in this case I could not find anylone locally or near that had a clue about the special tool for the ss freeze plug i jnstalled it with what I considered the second best info the ball peen hammer and some epoxy sealant. The dimple is not as perfect as with the tool I am sure but the installation in this manner is far superior to any way recommended around here locally. Thanks to everyone who helped with my problem, I cetainly have enough knowledge about the freeze plug in this engine now to be confidant that the next time one or all need be changed that the proper kind, the proper way etc. will be used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.