The Diesel Stop banner

freeze plug help

19K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  icanfixall 
I wouldn't try to drill it. You have to have the steadiness of a brain surgeon not to go thru and hit the block/cylinder wall. I normaly use a flathead screwdriver and with a hammer, hit it at the bottom edge of the "cup". the plug may turn and then you can grab it with a pair of locking pliers. If the screwdriver punches a hole through it then you can use the small pointed end of a prybar or a bigger screwdriver to get it out.

You'd have to drill pretty far/hard to go clear in and hit the cylinder wall, then to do any damage other than a tiny scuff.
But like chuckster said- beat on the edges with a screwdriver to flip it, then grab on with some vice grips or the like and yank it out. Just don't shove it back into the block- that makes it not fun to remove.
I agree the odds of hitting any internals and causing damage is probably small, but you never know how big a drill bit and drill someone is going to use. I just threw it out there to make a point, kind of like CYA advise....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.