The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts
I live in a small town too and know what you mean and you are right this forum is the best palce forinfo etc everyone is genuine and wants to help, they have helped me on numerous times and now I find myself offering info to other members and know so much more about these engines than I did 6 months ago good luck and see you back soon ( I think my wife went to school with camarillo and yes he is like a god around this area I will say hi) ( I only say that about the boat cause I sold mine to pay for the repairs on my IDI LMAO but they are a lot alike at least when the truck breaks down I dont have to swim lol)

Well this post seems to have run out the correct way it should. Only install the stainless steel plugs. Use some sealant of some kind or it will leak down the road. I had all 7 installed with the proper tool and air tested my block to 35 lbs for 1 hour. No leaks and I used some Snoop Leak Detecter. You can use some dish washing detergant mixed in water too. After about 3000 miles of run time several started to leak. Found out I needed sealant but the shop didn't feel it was needed so I went along with them... Bad idea to follow the blind... So motor came out and this time it was done correctly with sealant and an air test... The tool is really necessary for the job to be done by someone the first time out. It can't be done wrong with the proper tool. It only sets them so far and the expansion of the plug is critical if you are a first timer. I wont take anything away from any one that has done hundreds of them with a punch sucessfully thats for sure. But for a first timer its not something you want to "try" if its a hard plug to reach. My first rebuilt motor had brass el cheapos in it. They leaked and at 2 miles of drive time one behind the oil cooler poped out. I was towed to the better shop where they charged my $287.00 to replace it. Then 5200 miles down the road pulling a steep grade on the freeway another plug let go. Now without any coolant seeing the temp sender you have no idea whats going on. I heard the motor clattering and looked at the coolant temp... 220 degrees but... Oil temp on the motor was passing 330 degrees. The motor locked up before I could pull over. Cracked both heads.. Scuffed 6 piston skirts... So another rebuild was done and it cost me... Not the first crappy shop $2300.00 in new parts. It was a costly lesson of what freeze plugs to be used and how they should be installed properly. If you know how to do it without the tool then I say to you at least you know what your doing and can do it. I personally like the correct tool for the right job ans someday I will have the 303-D045 even if I only need it once. At least I can loan it out to others in dire straights. Thats another reason some of us are here and on other sites...

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.