The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got 06 F250 with 6.0. Freeze plug on drivers side located directly behind the motor mount has decided to abandon ship and is out. Bought replacement for $1.29. Anyone get to change this one before? Advice on best/easiest way? Drop front driveline? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I think for glow plug replacement, many guys have talked about dropping the wheel well interior liner, would that get you at it?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
He's talking about a core plug. These are often incorrectly called freeze plugs because guys think they are there to pop out and keep the block from cracking if the coolant freezes. Sometimes that does happen, but I've seen engines that had freeze cracks that never moved a single core plug a millimeter. The plugs are there to fill the holes left when the block was cast. The holes are there so that the foundry could shake the casting sand out of the cooling jacket after the block was cast.

As far as replacement in the vehicle, never had to do one on a 6.0 thank God. I would advise coating the edge of the new plug is something like Hylomar, or another non hardening sealer. Then just try to drive it in as straight as possible. A big socket that fits the recess in the plug is the best way

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Ya, I know what plug he meant, I guess I didn't explain well. If the plug he talks about is on the side of the block, I thought maybe if he removed the liner like the guys do when changing GP's , he might be able to get at it from there.

Oh, and regarding "The holes are there so that the foundry could shake the casting sand out of the cooling jacket after the block was cast."....epic fail on Internationals part for the 6.0L, don't you agree? many people have the oil coolers and coolant filters to prove it!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Oh, now that makes sense. Definitely get the fender liner out of the way. Good call.

I think the 6.0 head and block castings are just super complicated. There is a lot going on in them, requiring a lot of small, delicate cores, some of which tend to stay behind. They probably should have shaken those things a bit better. Interestingly I'm not hearing about any such issues with the newer compacted graphite iron blocks new Diesels all seem to have. Maybe others have learned from IH's mistake? Though, also in fairness, IH designed the 6.0 with a coolant filter. You can thank Ford for the engine not coming with one from the factory. I hope the $3 they saved on each truck bought a G5 for some impoverished executive who didn't already have an airplane...

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Though, also in fairness, IH designed the 6.0 with a coolant filter. You can thank Ford for the engine not coming with one from the factory. I hope the $3 they saved on each truck bought a G5 for some impoverished executive who didn't already have an airplane...
Agreed.....very good point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts