The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slow coolant leak. When my truck is idling I can see antifreeze dripping down from underneath the engine on the passenger side rear near the starter. I don't see any leak near the heater hoses from the top so I am thinking it is probably a freeze plug.
Is the freeze plug difficult to replace or something I could do myself?
Any special tool required?
Ok to just get them from Autozone or Oreilly or should I get better quality ones online somewhere?
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
439 Posts
Freeze plugs are easy to change if you have access to them. There is a install tool that you will need to get.Tool is cheap.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I wouldn't buy a rag from the zone, even if I needed a dirty one.

Made-in-USA parts are not usually so much more expensive to make me risk cheap crap. These bore plugs are Federal/Mogul. I got the PN from RockAuto and then shopped everywhere else. They probably came from Amazon or ebay.

(click this text)

I have the Snap-On tool set for installing them, but I only use the disks - not the long swivel rod (which never works, even when straight).

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
We used to just pop them out with a screwdriver and replace them using a block of wood to get them to seat.

But I would make sure that it is the freeze plug that is leaking before I went to the trouble of pulling the engine to replace them.

·
Registered
439 Posts
We used to just pop them out with a screwdriver and replace them using a block of wood to get them to seat.

But I would make sure that it is the freeze plug that is leaking before I went to the trouble of pulling the engine to replace them.
If you have to pull the motor to replace a freeze plug he will have to replace more than just a freeze plug. ;It could cost $1,000 to do all the work necessary to not have to wrench on something down the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts