The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had an oil leak that kept getting worse. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from exactly, but had it pretty much narrowed down to turbo pedestal O-rings or the EBPV. I went down to the stealership and picked up some O-Rings, then over to NAPA for a pipe plug and freeze plug to do an EBPV delete. From here, it went south on me!

First, the AIH terminal came off with the nut. Snapped it right off. Second, the up-pipe collector REFUSED to come off which then took 2 hours of cussing on my part to finish. Then, as I was grinding off the rivets on the EBPV butterfly, I somehow bumped the turbo and it fell on the floor from the bench, breaking the outlet housing! This is the point when I made the decision to go full bore and just order a 38r. Did I mention that I needed my truck back to tow the fifth wheel on Friday and this was Monday morning?

So I 2nd Day Air'd a 38r and other goodies from Riff Raff (he was out of stock on the turbo itself, so I had to go elsewhere for that due to my time constraints). I then went to install the new turbo and saw that my up-pipe donuts were loose and leaking. Managed to crack the Y-pipe collector at one bolt trying to get it out and my wife made a buzzer beater run to the Ford Dealership in Billings to pick up a new one before they closed last night. I'd like to get bellowed up-pipes but time wasn't going to allow that.

Everything is installed (as of midnight last night) and I have one leak where the turbo goes into the spyder. Still making 25 psi even with that and I'm curious to see what I'll get with it's actually sealed. I absolutely buried the filter minder on the AIS as soon as I hit the throttle haha.

Last night's modifications/repairs:

Garrett GTP38R
Non-EBPV Exhaust Housing
Modified Pedestal
Riff Raff AIH Delete Plug
Riff Raff AIH Code Eliminator
Riff Raff Map Sensor Fooler
Riff Raff EBPV Isolator Pigtail
Riff Raff Plenum Inserts (Aren't the best ideas sometimes the most simple?)
New Up-Pipe Collector & Bolts
New Up-Pipe Donuts

And that, kids, is how you take a $6 O-Ring replacement and turn it into a $2,000 turbo upgrade! :icon_wink:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the leak taken care of. I seem to be sitting at about 27-28 psi max. The AIS filter minder issue is probably a sign that I'm moving a lot more air, however, and it's running like a top with the same settings on the chip. Filter minder is unplugged now :lol:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,193 Posts
The Riffraff decal is what makes it run so good...

Don't you love deadlines. Makes Murphy's law go into full swing.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Just a little bit of bad luck can turn out so good , that's nice work gasgzlr in the time you had to complete it, never the less you'll have forgotten all about the heart ache in a week or two and you'll be telling everyone about the wonderful job you did. you wouldn't want anything else to go wrong while the job was on.
Oh, did you have time to paint the IC pipes while you where on the job, they look good.:sneaky:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I actually had the IC pipes powdercoated at Industrial Coating Solutions here in Billings. $50 and they had them out the door in a couple of days about a year ago. I should have taped of the area where the boots go, though, as I finally had to grind the coating off to get the boots to stay on.

My wife was thoroughly impressed by having to stop 4 times in 90 miles with the camper so I could put boots back on...

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
My wife was thoroughly impressed by having to stop 4 times in 90 miles with the camper so I could put boots back on...
Hmmm, that would impress most wives.:lol::lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts