The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed the rear differential oil and the transfer case. Need to do the front axle as well, but am not sure if I have the dana 50 or 60 axle up front. Main concern is oil capacity. Owner's manual shows for both, not sure which one I have. I think it's the 50. Also, same basic procedure as rear? Thanks is advance, Mike

2001 f350 cc, 4x4 automatic

·
Registered
42 Posts
One of the sites that breaks down your vehicle using the VIN will definitively tell you. Another site I use had a thread that stated: The "60 will have the number "248" cast in the web on the center chunk (248mm ring gear). The 50 will have a "229" cast in the web."

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Buy 4 quarts of gear oil and change it. When it starts coming out the full plug it's full

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of the sites that breaks down your vehicle using the VIN will definitively tell you. Another site I use had a thread that stated: The "60 will have the number "248" cast in the web on the center chunk (248mm ring gear). The 50 will have a "229" cast in the web."

Thanks, I'll look for the number.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Buy 4 quarts of gear oil and change it. When it starts coming out the full plug it's full

Such an easy answer. Guess I wasn't looking at the big picture. If I don't need the extra oil I can return it. Thanks. I was too focused on the amount of oil. I feel inadequate.

One more thing, anyone know the torque settings on the bolts?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I don't know the torque specs but definately don't over tighten them. That one bolt with an Allen head is a pain to get out if the previous person tightened it way down.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
5.8 pints or 3 quarts and on mine it's a Dana 60. 2002 F350, 6 speed, 3.73 limited slip rear end. 4x4.
Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts