The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So Ive been trying to track down my mystery clunking noise when I go over bumps.. and I believe this is my problem.

This isnt my video but this is exactly what its doing on the passenger side and on the drivers side it not only has play up and down but in and out .. I'm also assuming this is what is clunking around when I go over bumps.

I've torn apart a lot of things but steering assemblies like this Iv'e never had the chance to tackle before now. So I'm not exactly sure what all the proper names are or what I need to buy to fix this. If anyone has any information on what it is I need to replace I would appreciate the help.

would this be what I need to do?

http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/nblube.php

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Just need some direction so I can move forward. Thanks :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
yes that is basically what you need, if that is where the clunking is coming from. There is a bearing inside the hub the rotor is mounted to and that is more than likely the problem. I would also replace the seal on the axle tube(I don't think there is a bearing on the outer axle tube but check).

Also look at getting some after-market hubs i'm running some warn hubs and disconnected the air actuated auto hubs. If you have auto and go manual remember to block off the air port out of the pump or other things like your vents and 4wd switch will not operate correctly.

good luck!!

P.S do you have manual or Auto hubs?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks for the response! I really couldnt tell you if they are auto or manual.. when I got the truck they did already have warn hubs on there but other than that Im not sure how to tell the difference.

Also I found this write up online, maybe it will help somone else needing to do the same repair :)

Ford Super Duty Ball Joint Replacement Procedure | Superdutypsd.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you have to turn the hub or can you just engage the 4wd from the cab?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the esof switch in the truck. I thought the difference was something in the hubs :p I guess mine are auto

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just finished getting the drivers side disassembled and there was only 1 thrust washer on the outer hub assembly not the 3 like all these write ups have.. also there was no plastic thrust washer for the autolock. Am I missing something here? or did whoever installed the warn locking hubs not re install this properly?

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Just finished getting the drivers side disassembled and there was only 1 thrust washer on the outer hub assembly not the 3 like all these write ups have.. also there was no plastic thrust washer for the autolock. Am I missing something here? or did whoever installed the warn locking hubs not re install this properly?
I had the same thing when i disassembled, missing a washer. Whoever did mine was too lazy to stick a prybar behind the ujoint to move the axle out just enough to get the snap ring on with the 3 washers.

Ford wants 40 shipped for 2 packs of washers, see part number F81Z3B458AA at trousey.

There are 2 links on my post in this thread: http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f24/front-hubs-rebuildable-256463/#post1895350

Another, same thing you ran into: Hub change and I found this. Plus a ? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Also, I actually have my 4 washers in my hand, i paid 50 cents for them and on my lunch break im going to a machine shop to have them throw them on a mill or lathe to match the specs of the washer i currently have. Yes I know its galv washers im using but it sure beats $40 shipped when you plan on replacing everything else at a later date.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
hey thanks for the info! that part # looks like its just for those 3 washers which I need but where do I get my hands on that plastic washer? the guy at the ford parts department said its not sold without the whole hub assembly.. would love to get all the right pieces put back in this hub before I slap it back together...

·
Super Moderator
25,495 Posts
the guy at the ford parts department said its not sold without the whole hub assembly.
B.S. He's probably just too lazy to look it up for you.

Check your area for a Spicer dealer (driveline shop). They won't try to sell you a $400 part when all you need is a $4 part. I know that the hub assembly doesn't come with a new plastic thrust washer.

I just looked on the Dana Spicer site, and that plastic thrust washer should be a PN 47766 - used on both D50 and D60 front axles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
B.S. He's probably just too lazy to look it up for you.

Check your area for a Spicer dealer (driveline shop). They won't try to sell you a $400 part when all you need is a $4 part. I know that the hub assembly doesn't come with a new plastic thrust washer.

I just looked on the Dana Spicer site, and that plastic thrust washer should be a PN 47766 - used on both D50 and D60 front axles.
hey thanks! I figured as much :icon_mad:everything I've been reading says its - F81Z3B458AA for the washers and F81Z4228BA for the plastic washer... Ill look to see if there is a spicer dealer around me :) thanks for the help!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the drivers side completed. I ended up getting the washers I needed from ford no problems.

One thing before I take it out for a spin to make sure its all working properly is that after I put it all back together the outer axle seal is squeaking when I rotate the hub. I assume maybe thats normal since it new? or should that not be squeaking like that..

thanks for all the help so far guys I appreciate it :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
In reference to the video of the axle shaft play, should there be any play when the hub is removed? If not what would the play be caused by? Thank you. It is a 2004 f350 4x4

·
Super Moderator
25,495 Posts
In reference to the video of the axle shaft play, should there be any play when the hub is removed? If not what would the play be caused by? Thank you. It is a 2004 f350 4x4
If you remove the hub/bearing assembly, there's really nothing to support the shaft inboard of the u-joint. Outboard of the u-joint, there's the spindle bearing just inside the back of the hub/bearing assembly, and a bearing inside the locking hub. Both are needle bearings. With the locking hub removed, there could be some play as the outer axle rocks around the spindle bearing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts