The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I could find the specs on the frame on my truck? I got hit in the front end / bumper, and am looking to see what the actual measurements are for the front of the frame horns. I believe the whole front end of the truck got pushed over by an inch, which is reflected in the new bumper and how it mounts, but I don't know what the measurements should be, or where to take them from.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,334 Posts
Yep, it's bent. :frown2:

Most any body shop should have the specs to straighten it, or at least tell you whether it's fixable.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Looking at the Left frame Horn (pushed over) was curious if the blocker beam was still attached at the time of the collision? Was there any damage to it?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Andrew, the reason I ask is it’s hard to tell in the picture angle..... the left Horn is definitely twisted compared to the right. There is a weak area (IMO) in the frame directly behind the leaf spring front mount. If you look at my picture of my 2002 frame, just to the left of the reinforcement welds I put on the front hitch/blocker beam angle brackets, you will see the factory slotted holes in the frame. Hopefully the bending doesn’t go further back than that. The leaf spring bracket is factory plug welded to the frame inside the bracket slots.
Hope you’re able to get it straightened.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,334 Posts
FYI, Andrew's 99.5 didn't come with a blocker beam. Ford added those in '02, I believe.

Those slots in the frame are there so it bends in the "right" places during a collision. I believe there's a joint in the frame rails just aft of the front spring mounts, and the pieces to the front of that may be available for replacement. [on edit] Nope, not available anymore.

If the bends are more than a few degrees out, I don't think a shop will straighten them, especially if there are kinks at those slots. It's a liability thing, as it reduces the ability of the frame to absorb energy during a collision.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Wow, my mistake then- I thought the “super duty” trucks came out with them. I remember reading the article that they were added due to crash studies involving smaller vehicles.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, no blocker beam. I wish, but I doubt it would have helped me much. Most of the impact went into bending the drag link, I was making a U turn and they decided to pass on the left. I didn't think much of it until I got the junkyard bumper and it was off center. I got lucky and got the fender, drag link with tie rod ends, header panel, headlights and bumper off the same truck, an 04. I thought I'd be getting an upgrade, but with the frame issue, I don't know yet.

Almost all of the impact was on the left front tire, and almost straight across the front bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
When I bought mine as an insurance total in 2003, we replaced the front frame section including the cross member. I don't know if it is still available at Ford. Mine took a hit where the twin I beams were broken like 2 x 4's just to the driver side of center.

The replacement frame section is bolted and welded to the frame.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I don’t trust the insurance company’s!!!!
I am not going to say “safety” never comes into play but from what I’ve seen it’s all about the almighty $ dollar.
I resurrected a totaled vehicle I bought back from the insurance company, and did it for under half of the insurers estimate.
I then put it back with them “on Liability” only.
The agent saw it and wanted me to put it back on full coverage- I told him to “take a hike!”

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even if I had full coverage it wouldn't have helped. I left my direction of travel, so even though the other party was speeding and went to the left lane to pass, I'm at fault, at least according to the insurance company. They asked "Weren't you aware that they were behind you?"

·
Super Moderator
25,334 Posts
Even if I had full coverage it wouldn't have helped. I left my direction of travel, so even though the other party was speeding and went to the left lane to pass, I'm at fault, at least according to the insurance company. They asked "Weren't you aware that they were behind you?"
If you had your signal on and the guy hit you from behind, it's his fault. That's my take, no matter what the other party's insurance company says. They will always deny it was their insureds fault. Was there a police report? You're not necessarily going to win, even if you're not at fault, because they have all the hammers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts