The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went up north drove fine on the free way we get there and i lock my hubs and shift the lever for 4x4 and the truck wouldn't move so i tried reverse and it would go in reverse but when i went back to drive it would just stop and then i don't know what let loose but startied getting a funny noise from the front end like growl but not constant so i babied it the weekend and there was sometime it did it and some times it didn't but when out of 4x4 and hubs unlocked no problem with any noise from the front end toward the end of the week end it seemed to be fine for a little bit i could climb hills no problem made it through soft sand and right when we were about to leave it started making a thawing sound. things i checked
- disengaged everything and spun the front drive shaft no problem the hubs seems to be locking and unlocking just fine
- disengaged the inside cab lever for the 4x4 with the hubs still locked and made the noise.
checked the front u joints knowing i replaced one about 2 months ago and wireline so its gotta be something in the the front diff any ideas before i make the truck not drivable?:frown2:

·
Registered
78 Posts
how about axle u joints mine were bad acted funny like that. so I just did hubs u joints seals diff fluid

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so to keep this alive i just got my cover off the front axle and it looks like the pin in the spider gears fell and chipped the ring gear and the pinion gear and the bearing is shot to...... from what i have been able to find i have a dana 60 axle 3.73 std.. how do i know if it is the reverse rotation? where can i get parts for this relatively easy on the pocket book..... what else do i need to know and where do i find the specs for the rebuild? thanks much

·
Super Moderator
26,503 Posts
To find the correct parts, you should be able to get them from about any reputable driveline shop. If that fails. look for a sticker on the axle housing that looks like this.

It'll have the Dana PN on it (upper left on the pic). That will get you to the proper parts. Dana's website has a listing for Ford axles going by the Dana PN.

If you've never set up a differential before, I'd recommend you have someone do it for you. It's not that hard, but you need to take special care with shim selection to get the gear pattern correct.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i really want the experience of doing this one my self i know there are things i have not tackled before but i strive to improve and this is an area i am thinking about getting into and this will tell me if i love it or hate it lol
this is the sticker i found
i think it is a dana 50 with a 3.73 ration

i need

carrier complete with spider gears
ring and pinion
and a master install kit i would assume because it comes with shims
am i missing anything?

is there a write up on doing this rebuild i do appreciate your feed back thank you

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,503 Posts
I know what you mean by trying to do something yourself. I've been stung by that bee as well. :lol:

If you need the whole differential, R&P, spider gears, and bearings, it would probably be less expensive to find a good used axle and swap that in as a whole.

If you still want to rebuild yours, you'd be well served by hunting down a Ford Service Manual, which will give you the procedure. They do expect that you'll have the special tools available, such as gauge blocks for setting pinion depth and case spreader for installing the differential.

Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts