The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, New to the forum as I wanted to ask a question about front end and alignments/wear for my 96' F250 4x4 Crew Cab...
All seems to be normal with driving, except now I've noticed that when I back into my driveway, my front wheels go WAY out. See attached picture (will attach soon I hope). I've lifted the truck and do not find loose components i.e. ball joints, but maybe I'm not checking with enough detail. I recently put a 4" lift and larger tires on, and that is when this issue really started to stand out.

Looking for way to insert a photo, but not seeing that yet.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
That is typical and normal with the TTB front end. Your lift is just exaggerating what isn't that noticeable with TTB at stock height, but it happened before the lift too.

Just one of the many reasons we swap in D60s instead.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. That kinda sucks...Seems like there would be some way to fix this without throwing an entirely new front end in there. It looks like the D60 has leafsprings, but I don't think my lift would carry over from the wonky original axle.
Since it's only noticalbe when I go in reverse, is there any known damage that happens, or is it just a visual annoyance?

Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The larger tires make it more-pronounced, and more-noticeable, but that doesn't mean it's OK now or that it was before. If the front end was properly aligned, it wouldn't happen, regardless of tire size or lift height (assuming the lift was engineered correctly). Yes, it's "normal" because all TTBs wear rapidly & go out of alignment, so they all do it. But it's not "correct".

There are MANY wearing parts in a TTB, and most of them affect alignment: wheel bearings, ball joints, axle pivot bushings, radius arm bushings, tie rod ends, & steering box; inspect each one thoroughly. I recommend Energy black poly bushings; MotorCraft bearings, BJs, & TREs; and a parts-store reman steering box with a decent warranty. I'm using one from Advance that now has ~13 hard years on it.

AFTER all of those parts are right, it can be aligned, if you can find a shop that will actually take the time to do it right. It helps if they have the newer-styl optical machines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts