The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2008 6.4 w/98k has started to develop some play in the right tie rod end. On most other vehicles I own(ed) I have rebuild the entire front end at 100k just to eliminate future issues and hassles with multiple alignments.

all Moog parts are $528 (including new steering stabilizer) through rock auto.

I am only questioning if I should replace the ball joints. It is a 4wd and sees mostly highway use. Replacing the ball joints requires pulling the axles and adds another $125 or so in new seals.

How many miles or years can one expect from factory ball joints? Should I just go ahead and replace them with the steering?

Thanks
OJ

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I am at 225,000 on a 2006 4x4 and need to replace them.

·
Super Moderator
25,012 Posts
I've replaced ball joints on the driver's side at about 200k miles, IIRC. I'm at ~220 right now and the right side is still original. Wait, I take that back. The new D60 axle went in at maybe 50-60k miles, so that would make it 140-150k on the driver's side and maybe 150k now on the passenger's side ball joints.

If you're going that far in, I would probably replace both side ball joints. It's recommended that the spindle bearing inside the hub assembly be regreased every 60k or so anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts