The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure this is technically not the right spot for this thread but wanted to hear this forum's regulars comment on my tire wear issue.

My ball joints are good and it seems like the truck has a good, solid ride but my BFG TA KO'S are wearing way too quickly. Usually I get at least 50-60 K out of them but this set is at 25 and they look bad. We moved to a new home with a 900 foot gravel driveway and I am wondering if this could explain the poor tread life. The driveway is mostly 57 stone and my tires pick up tons of stones.

Does anybody know what the BFG Mud Terrains are like in snow and rain?

Sorry I am all over the place but I can't afford to replace tires every two years.

·
Registered
163 Posts
funny i was just noticing the same on my fronts... i have dick cepek fun country 2's on and the front tires are very choppy and have worn a lot more than the rears.

I talked to the guy who put them on, and he said the front ends on these trucks wear out tires like no other - especially if the tread pattern is aggressive. he said it's not even worth continuing the get re-alignment because there isn't any way around it.... now, those are his words not mine, just thought i'd share.

i'm thinking of keeping the cepek's on the back for the snow and getting a less aggressive tire on the front that wears better....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a bad idea. I know that the new TA/KO 2 tires are supposed to be much better on gravel with respect to wear so I may just give them a try. I would hate to drive a nice man-sized truck with a tire that looks like it belongs on a Honda. ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would have the front end checked for loose parts and aligned by a good TRUCK alignment shop light duty shops seem to have a problem finding loose parts and doing a proper alignment on super duty's. I am running Michelin XPS's on my 03 dually and went through 2 sets of different brand front tires in the first 45K until I did the ball joints and switched to the Michelin's, I now have 125K on the truck and still have 45% tread left. I do rotate the fronts an rear outers every 7500 miles even though the reverse side of the wheels aren't polished the same, doesn't matter to me since a local shop chewed up the rears when replacing the tires. Ain't pretty but they do work on either end.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have BF KO on my 02 CCLB 4x4 - they where put on in 05 - 35,000 on they truck then - they are now at 95,00 . The tread is just barley legal, but the sides a dry rotting............
I will say, all my suspension is tight and they wore very evenly.
I am getting the new KO 2 to replace them with.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I got 80K out of my last set of Michelins. I got 60K out of the factory Conti's.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I too got 60,000 out of the Continentals. I probably could have got more except the dry rot was an issue after close to 10 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts