The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have gone to an aftermarket front grille, I am wondering what did you find to be the best option? The inserts or a full replacement? It appears most inserts are make of aircraft grade aluminum and the full replacement is ABS plastic.

Thanks,

Griz

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I put a set of stainless inserts in my '05 grille. Looks good,but I think it restricts airflow somewhat. I've been looking at something from RoyaltyCore but it's hard to justify the cost. We'll see.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I also installed stainless steel inserts in my grille but air flow is still ok with no overheating. The more chrome the better I think. Oh yeah by the way I also installed a 2012 nose on my 1999 7.3 that the inserts went into.It looks good. here is a pic below.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also installed stainless steel inserts in my grille but air flow is still ok with no overheating. The more chrome the better I think. Oh yeah by the way I also installed a 2012 nose on my 1999 7.3 that the inserts went into.It looks good. here is a pic below.
When you install the inserts...what exactly do you have to do to install them? Are you cutting out the original grille or what?

Thanks,

Griz

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Looks really good but you are restricting your airflow. It won't overheat but your cooling system will work much harder than it should have to. Also your intercooler will not be as efficient.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks really good but you are restricting your airflow. It won't overheat but your cooling system will work much harder than it should have to. Also your intercooler will not be as efficient.
I've been watching gauges since i installed the grille inserts and there's no difference in engine temp or performance.There still is air flow around the inserts, it doesnt totally seal up the grille. I towed my car trailer with a nissan on it on a 86 degree day and no overheating or lag in performance. Everything on the 2012 nose is so much bigger then the 1999 nose that I took off that even with the inserts on this newer nose its about the same amount of air flow as a stock 99 nose.Everything from the size of the grille to the bumper openings and even the lower air dam is huge on this newer nose.I dont know if it helps that I did a coolant flush,new water pump and installed a coolant filter kit a year ago. Maybe thats why its running so cool even with the grille inserts.
Either way it looks good and I hated having a truck that looks like ever other truck so this does make it stand out alittle more. :yesnod:

·
Registered
158 Posts
When you install the inserts...what exactly do you have to do to install them? Are you cutting out the original grille or what?

Thanks,

Griz
They installed with washers and nuts. The inserts have studs welded on the back of them that go thru the mesh of the grill and then you just put a washer & nut on back side of grille for each stud. There is no cutting of anything and I can remove them at any time to go back to a stock looking grille. :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They installed with washers and nuts. The inserts have studs welded on the back of them that go thru the mesh of the grill and then you just put a washer & nut on back side of grille for each stud. There is no cutting of anything and I can remove them at any time to go back to a stock looking grille. :icon_wink:
Thanks...When looking at pictures I could not see the stock grille behind the insert so I was assuming they were cutting that part out...which to me seemed like more trouble than it was worth.

Griz

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yup, it's very simply to install and remove without damaging anything on the grille. I've been getting so many compliments on the amount of chrome on the front of the truck now.It's even beginning to be a pain in the butt when I'm just trying to run in and out of a store to get somewhere and somebody wants to talk about the truck when I have be somewhere and I dont want to be rude so i'm sometimes late to where I'm going. But its all good. It's a fun hobby.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I went with a speed grill insert, no cutting of the stock grill, aluminum inserts, and they just zip tie in place.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went with a speed grill insert, no cutting of the stock grill, aluminum inserts, and they just zip tie in place.

I like the idea of a metal insert rather than a plastic replacement. I suppose plastic would be okay too...that is what the factory grille is made of. Decisions decisions. :lol:

·
Registered
490 Posts

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
anyone know this insert from the SOA F250? (attached)

OR this grill insert from ebay any good?
I was looking at those the other day on Ebay as well. I have not found any feedback on them yet

·
Registered
280 Posts
I ordered sinister diesel's conversion grille. Looks great and is a direct factory replacement. No modification needed. Snaps in just like the OEM grille did.
HTML:
http://www.mkmcustoms.com/chrome05-07superdutyecursiongrilletofit99-04.aspx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts