The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I came close to losing a front wheel last weekend. I will never trust the impact gun to do the job and will swear by a torque wrench from now on.

As you might guess the wheel studs were chewed up badly, and I replaced them, along with new lug nuts.

The wheel was the steel kind with the 9-hole chrome face. It's center hole and lug holes were noticeably enlarged so the spare tire is currently on the truck.

My question is about the hub, where it mates with the center hole of the wheel. There is a slight bit of wear noticeable, though with the spare wheel on, plain steel, there does not seem to be much of a gap, compared to the other front wheel. See the attached photo, which was taken after installation of the new wheel studs.

After driving for less than 50 miles since then and obsessively checking the torque on the lug nuts, nothing seems to be working loose.

Just wondering if there was any tolerance on the hub and center hole clearance or hub OD that I could measure to see if it is safe. Almost 130k miles on that hub, which is original.

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but, I think the wheels are supposed to be centered on the hub not the lug nuts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
As long as it is a proper spare and the lug nuts are the correct size and torqued to the proper spec then a gap as you describe will not be an issue.

A shop will use an impact gun but always finish up with a torque wrench.

You were lucky.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts