The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 150K miles on my Excursion. I am thinking of changing out my front wheel hubs. One went bad a small time ago, I installed a used one for temporary. I am looking for new ones. Is there a brand I need to avoid? Timken advertises a 10 year warranty.... is it a good brand? Is there a way to know? Who made the Ford OEM hubs?

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
timken are really good and motorcraft are the OEM one. pretty sure SKF are really good to

personally i would go timken or motorcraft

·
Super Moderator
26,497 Posts
timken are really good and motorcraft are the OEM one. pretty sure SKF are really good to

personally i would go timken or motorcraft
Actually Ford (and Motorcraft) buys their hubs from one of the major manufacturers. Could be Timken, SKF, Federal Mogul (BCA).
I think you'd be fine with any of the name brands. I wouldn't recommend going cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Actually Ford (and Motorcraft) buys their hubs from one of the major manufacturers. Could be Timken, SKF, Federal Mogul (BCA).
I think you'd be fine with any of the name brands. I wouldn't recommend going cheap.
Good to know, thanks for the info

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you can get WARN hubs I've had real good luck with them. Changed my factory hubs out on my 2000 F-350 last year they work great I be used them on my old 1979 f-150 yes ago and they always work good.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
When they say hubs I think they mean wheel bearings.

I have had warns for a while and they have been good. Take them off and geese then periodically. Just did mine today and they needed it

·
Super Moderator
26,497 Posts
Take them off and geese then periodically.
:grinbiginvert: is that similar to goose? :grin2:
Or did you mean grease?

Sorry, I couldn't resist

Yes, wheel bearing hubs and locking hubs are different animals.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
What can I say I have ducks and geese on the mind. Waterfowl season is coming to a close.

And yes I meant grease haha I love auto correct sometimes

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, the wheel bearing hubs. Not the locking hubs. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I went through three of the hub assemblies in the first 100K. Since I switched to Timken's I have not had an issue in the 100K+ since, but when I go on a long trip I always pack a spare. I got caught in a remote town once and had to get one from a Napa store, which only lasted about 30K. Of course, as many of us know, the Auto-locking hubs can go bad too and I switched to Warn hubs years ago.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had to do the same thing recently. I had to purchase one locally from Oreilly, so I got whatever they had with the longest warranty. I work out of twon and had to get back to work. On the drivers side I used an SKF from Amazon. My only issue was knowing if I had coarse or fine threads on the lug bolts. If you get the wrong ones, you will need reuse the old ones. It been a few months and so far so good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts