The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new 2018 F350 6.7L PSD to tow my new DOT defined oversized boat. I need some ideas on how to mount my front 18" x 84" OVERSIZE LOAD banner without blocking my lights or air flow to my radiator or transmission cooler. Hopefully someone else has had experience with this issue on a similar truck and has solved this dilemma and I do not have to work on reinventing the wheel.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Talk to the local DOT cops, or the ones in the jurisdictions you plan to tow through. Have you ever seen anyone else with a similar (light passenger pickup) truck towing a similar load?

Is there 18" across the front of the truck that doesn't have lights (that you'll be using while towing)?

I'd probably look for a front receiver, and have something made that slips into that, extending a foot or so in front of the truck. That wouldn't obstruct airflow. But it should be built to tolerate impacts because you WILL hit stuff with it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Steve83. I have already talked with Utah DOT and they offered nothing. There is not anyway to mount the required 18" x 84" banner that does not block either/and/or the headlights and cooling air flow for the trucks front end heat exchanging design.

I found mesh banners that block 70% airflow and have considered aftermarket brush guards. The brush guards I have considered require cutouts in the stock air dam. As much as I have redesigned my 2001 F350 PSD I really feel that this truck is well designed and I do not want to mess with it. I am going to research a roof mounted solution if legal and talk with truck drivers and UHP officers.

I have looked online at Curt and Draw-Tite receiver hitches and they seem to need a minimum amount of air dam cut out. With the scrap I have around my workshop I could easily weld up an appropriate frame on square tube to mount a mesh banner projected out forward from the heat exchanging devices and below the headlights. I just do not need additional projects right now and wish someone could lend me their magic wand.

I might take another look at my bumper and see if I can't build something right off it. Thanks again for your rational suggestions Steve83.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts