The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
I must have gotten a bad part from Ford, it happens. I am restoring a 77 CJ5 and Energy Suspension had to send me three tranny mounts before I got one where the threaded insert wasn't mounted so crooked the trans wouldn't bolt up, so don't preach how good there products are to me!!! Besides if the factory ones last another 7 years the way the first ones did, that's okay with me.
See Ya

·
Registered
643 Posts
Those of us having to REPLACE the factory drop link bushings
arent doing it because we WANT TO...or that they have lasted
7 years...

next time you go down the road and see a superduty...look under
it...i think youll find more than one w/ a busted drop link
bushing...

the bushings rate right up there w/ the ball joints...PENNY
WISE, POUND FOOLISH !

·
Registered
913 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I read many, many posts where folks had a devil of a time getting the old bushings out. Not worth saving $40 to me. I called Powerstrokeshop and got two of them for around $45 each, install was easy as removing 4 bolts. However the noise is back on the drivers side after just a couple months!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

yup cause all you did was replace the junk w/ junk...the problem
is ford uses crappy factory RUBBER bushings...theyre inferior any
way you slice it...they flex MORE, tear, wear, hard to replace
and they COST MORE...than the polyurethane ENERGY SUSPENSION (brand)
bushings.

you say its not worth saving 45+ bucks...but now youve gotta do
the JOB AGAIN...how much is your time worth ?

[/ QUOTE ]factory bushings arnt rubber dude they are metal they are wrapped in rubber stuff to hold in grease thats it. thats why they are so hard to get out. ill agree i havent had any problems with energy sus. bushing ill buy again if my clunking comes back

·
Registered
643 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

you say its not worth saving 45+ bucks...but now youve gotta do
the JOB AGAIN...how much is your time worth ?

[/ QUOTE ]factory bushings arnt rubber dude they are metal they are wrapped in rubber stuff to hold in grease thats it. thats why they are so hard to get out. ill agree i havent had any problems with energy sus. bushing ill buy again if my clunking comes back

[/ QUOTE ]

which bushings are you talking about ? the sway bar bushings
are NOT grease wrapped in rubber...if you tore one youd know this !

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
This is a question for anyone that installed the ES poly swaybar set. Did you use the large flat washer in your install? And if so, where did you place it?

Thanks.

Rusty

·
Registered
442 Posts
so wait whos talking about what? ok so theres the sway bar, that mounts to the axle, and has RUBBER bushings on it. then there is the end links that mount from the sway bar to the frame. all RUBBER bushings. can someone take pics if what they are talkin about?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I ordered the bushings from Energy Suspension and installed them. I had to have the old bushing pressed out of the links. Guy did for me at work. No problem installing the new ones. Now we have to see how long they last.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
This is a question for anyone that installed the ES poly swaybar set. Did you use the large flat washer in your install? And if so, where did you place it?

Thanks.

Rusty
Yes. I put them on the bolt head side of the bushings. This is the side furthest from the sway bar and closest to the engine.
Joe

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm in the process of replacing the sway bar bushings on my truck. Are you guys re-using or replacing the bolts. I can't get the 2 bolts that attach the end link to the frame to break free from the bushing. Any tips or hints?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm in the process of replacing the sway bar bushings on my truck. Are you guys re-using or replacing the bolts. I can't get the 2 bolts that attach the end link to the frame to break free from the bushing. Any tips or hints?
Hit them with a hammer. You should see a washer like metal shield on one or two of them. And they are just washers, should not be holding up back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anything I should be aware of before I tear into it? I am mainly concerned about the frame mounts because of the rattle I hear when I hit bumps.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you SURE its your sway bar bushings and not the ball joints
that you're hearing ?

the problem <hard part> is removing the stupid FORD OE
bushings in the drop link / lolly pops...they have a
metal collar around the rubber insert...and it is a
TOTAL pain to press the OE bushing OUT if the rubber
part is torn out.

you'll need a press to get the metal collar out & there isn't
much to press against.

a press makes the job easier even on the bushings that are
still intact...and its next to impossible to remove the
metal collar w/OUT a press.

the Energy Suspension bushings can be pressed in by hand
or w/ a vise or clamp...the bushings are avail. from
jegs.com & summit racing.com for about 34 bucks.

remember to lube the bushings that go 'round the bar...or
they'll squeak like hell !

[/ QUOTE ]ur right i didn't have a press on two of them i had to literally burn them out with a cutting torch. big ball of metal dripped out. others the air chisel worked.
How much of a press. I used a 20 ton press and could get nothing to move them. I have new bushing but cant get the old pressed out. any thoughts??
I can get a air chisel or use a press again. no blow torch..
randy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for the link to purchase. Just ordered the complete front set. I'll take some photos and post them during the replacement. I'll let you know about how the press works. It's not a fancy one, but it'll do 20 tons and I will have a torch handy to coax it along.

·
Registered
766 Posts
my old ones popped at 7 ton mark. you could try soaking in some wd-40 first? World of difference though with the new ones in. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does this apply to the 2 wheel drive F250 front sway bar too? I have that clunking noise in my 2003 F250 7.3 crew cab 2wd and I checked the sway bar and can move it back and forth where the rubber bushing is in the mounting bracket to the frame. Can I replace those forst without doing anything to the endlinks? It would be cool if all I had to do was to take the 2 brackets off, replace the rubber bushings and put the brackets back on!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have finally figured out that the "clunking" sound is my front sway bar links.Does anyone know where to get OEM or aftermarket for less than $62 per side???(That's with a 20% discount at Ford !!)Thanks in advanced!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
My clunking sound was just ONE of those sway bar mounting bracket bushings that had worn out!! I bought EVERYTHING that might have been the culprit and then started at the sway bar mounting brackets and replaced the loose one first.............and the problem was solved right away! I took the truck for a spin around the block and NO MORE CLUNKING NOISE! So all I have to do is take the end links back to NAPA for a refund! $6.00 later and the clunking noise is GONE!:thumbsup: I LOVE these forums too, I have SAVED so much money by researching the issue at hand on these forums and doing it myself instead of taking the truck or car to a repair shop to be hosed with labor charges and bad estimates!

·
Registered
27 Posts
My clunking sound was just ONE of those sway bar mounting bracket bushings that had worn out!! I bought EVERYTHING that might have been the culprit and then started at the sway bar mounting brackets and replaced the loose one first.............and the problem was solved right away! I took the truck for a spin around the block and NO MORE CLUNKING NOISE! So all I have to do is take the end links back to NAPA for a refund! $6.00 later and the clunking noise is GONE!:thumbsup: I LOVE these forums too, I have SAVED so much money by researching the issue at hand on these forums and doing it myself instead of taking the truck or car to a repair shop to be hosed with labor charges and bad estimates!
I plan to do this soon.
Doess anyone have any pics?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts