The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

First time posting.
I followed the good write-ups on replacing the front wheel bearing hub and seals on my 99' f-250 (6-99). Unfortunately, when I went to put on the final snap ring for holding in the remaining three washers, I found that the stub axel was not protruding out far enough from the hub to allow the snap ring to reach the slot in the stub axel. When the 3 washers are installed, the snap ring groove in the stub axel is covered up by ~ 1/4". No way to secure the snap ring. I have double checked that all parts were put in the proper sequence.

A search didn't find anyone with the same install problem. Made the tool out of 1 1/4 pipe for pressing in the one seal. Is it possible that I didn't pound the seal in far enough and this created the problem? It appeared that the seal had bottomed out with quite a few hammer blows.

Frustrating when you are almost done with the job and then run in to this problem.

thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My guess is the seal is not in far enough. Just did both of mine and if I remember correctly the seal actually should show through on the back side about a 1/4 of an inch.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes, the seal does extend at least a 1/4" through the knuckle when it's seated correctly. I just did my DS ball joint last weekend and agree it's probably the large seal isn't all the way down. When it's seated fully the outer part seal sits just a fraction higher that face axle surface but I had to really hit mine way more times than I expected. The metal flange part should be down far enough that you can barely get a small pry bar or thin screwdriver blade between it and the axle. The axle can only travel so far into the tube housing so it pretty much has to be that flanged seal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kinda what I was thinking. I was hitting that seal pretty hard, but did not want to damage it. It did feel like it bottomed out, but maybe not. I will pull her apart again this afternoon and see what happens.

thanks

·
Registered
609 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to me. I was stumped as all can get out. Did one side no problem. Long story short when I put the axle in on the drivers side Im guessing that It went in like you said about 1/4" but the snap ring would not go in to place. To solve the problem I had a buddy put a pry bar benind the front universal and while I held the the axle I was able to get the snap ring on in two seconds. After hours of cussing. What It came down to was that axle has to be dead center with a little pressure from the rear and it poped right on. You might try the pry bar trick with the aid of a buddy. It took some serious force, almost as if you were trying to remove the axle. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
25,875 Posts
What can cause this is the plastic washer that goes on the stub shaft behind the bearing assy being installed backward. The washer bore is chamfered on only one side to clear the radiused corner between the shaft and the shoulder at the u-joint, and if that side doesn't go toward the u-joint, it won't seat all that way against the shoulder of the stub shaft, holding the shaft further inboard than it should be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Guys,

First time posting.
I followed the good write-ups on replacing the front wheel bearing hub and seals on my 99' f-250 (6-99). Unfortunately, when I went to put on the final snap ring for holding in the remaining three washers, I found that the stub axel was not protruding out far enough from the hub to allow the snap ring to reach the slot in the stub axel. When the 3 washers are installed, the snap ring groove in the stub axel is covered up by ~ 1/4". No way to secure the snap ring. I have double checked that all parts were put in the proper sequence.

A search didn't find anyone with the same install problem. Made the tool out of 1 1/4 pipe for pressing in the one seal. Is it possible that I didn't pound the seal in far enough and this created the problem? It appeared that the seal had bottomed out with quite a few hammer blows.

Frustrating when you are almost done with the job and then run in to this problem.

thanks for any ideas.
I remove my D/S hub and found no washers in there just a snap ring

·
Super Moderator
25,875 Posts
I remove my D/S hub and found no washers in there just a snap ring
There should be two steel washers sandwiching a fiber washer between them. They're available and you should install them when you reinstall the hub.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Does not call for it for my year
In post number 1 original poster is working on a ‘99.

The breakdown schematic you posted is for 2005 and newer. ?

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Exactly! you need to start a new topic instead of piggy backing on an old thread....In order to get accurate feedback. Kevin knows his trucks. Our older trucks have the 3 washers he referenced to you.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Not beating up on you, just makes it easier for everyone on the forum to lend assistance. If you get time fill out your profile, year- make, model, mods, etc. and is an easy reference to see what the poster is working on 👍

1 - 15 of 15 Posts