The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a stock 97 F350 SRW with E4OD on which I do mostly basic maintenance & repairs since I’m not as experienced, knowledgeable or skilled as many on this forum seem, but I appreciate gleaming insight from everyone here & trying things; thanks. The other day it snowed, & I locked my manual hubs & tried to shift into 4x4 high, but the lever would not move. Have since sprayed WD40 on all visible arms / connections around the transfer case 4wd shift linkage for several days hoping to loosen up rusted points to lubricate them, but there is still no movement. Have not tried to remove the boots on 4wd shift linkage to see what it looks like inside of them; is it more likely that the problem is in there? Is it likely that the transfer case 4wd shift linkage needs replacement, or is it just something that needs grease; could the problem be something else? The 4x4 worked well during the blizzard last February in Chicago, but I later had some health problems causing the truck to sit outside (not driven gathering rust) several months. Would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, ideas or pointers anyone has to offer. Probably will not be able to look at it / work on it much until the weekend or possibly next week since the truck is outside (no garage) & since my work schedule is during daylight hours. Thanks again for any experience or insight you can provide.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My 4x4 shifter seized up, I got mad and kicked it pretty hard, it broke the shifter off and freed it up at the same time. I looked into replacing the shift linkage, almost fainted when I heard how much it was. Over 100$. To I tattooed it back together, bought a spare transmission and it came with a new linkage thing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does the lever move down about a 1/2 inch or so? It must go down before it can go forward. You can remove the shifter boot and plastic surround, (4 screws) and get at the top of the shifter this way. Get yourself some real penetrating lube, not WD-40. and see if that helps. They used aluminum and steel parts mixed and seperated them with a thin cardboard like sleeve so seizing is common.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have heard of removing the detent plate for easier operation. I haven't gotten around to doing it, even so it is hard to accidentally shift into 4lo while in motion.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
soak the shaft where it goes into the T-case with Fluid film or other penatrent fluid, wd40 is fish oil ( really!, it is) Soaking all rods and such should be a 2x year maintenance item.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a stock 97 F350 SRW with E4OD on which I do mostly basic maintenance & repairs since I’m not as experienced, knowledgeable or skilled as many on this forum seem, but I appreciate gleaming insight from everyone here & trying things; thanks. The other day it snowed, & I locked my manual hubs & tried to shift into 4x4 high, but the lever would not move. Have since sprayed WD40 on all visible arms / connections around the transfer case 4wd shift linkage for several days hoping to loosen up rusted points to lubricate them, but there is still no movement. Have not tried to remove the boots on 4wd shift linkage to see what it looks like inside of them; is it more likely that the problem is in there? Is it likely that the transfer case 4wd shift linkage needs replacement, or is it just something that needs grease; could the problem be something else? The 4x4 worked well during the blizzard last February in Chicago, but I later had some health problems causing the truck to sit outside (not driven gathering rust) several months. Would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, ideas or pointers anyone has to offer. Probably will not be able to look at it / work on it much until the weekend or possibly next week since the truck is outside (no garage) & since my work schedule is during daylight hours. Thanks again for any experience or insight you can provide.
my 95 does same thing. From 95 to 2010 - 4wd linkage that is on side of transfer case froze up with rust. $120.00 to have grease gobbed onto it. Now 2012.... same thing again. Another $105.00. 20 minutes time..

Go to WD-40 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and learn how effective WD40 can be.
WD-40, abbreviated from the phrase "Water Displacement, 40th formula

WD worked on many other problems over the years.

There's a cloth cover around the selector lever in cab.
Going to lift that up and view the linkage that sits in a tray like holder on the side of the selector case. No top -- which allows moisture [snow] to accumulate in Wis. wintertime.

If that works I'll get a small diameter piece of plastic hose, cut a hole in cloth cover and
pour an 1/2 ounce of WD40 into linkage tray from above.... during wintertime months.

my eMail: [email protected] . . . use subject: 95 dodge 4wd linkage rust.
Let me know what Ua think?
It worked wonders on "steam powered winches on Great Lakes cargo ships during winter months..

·
Registered
45 Posts
I sprayed the crap out of mine with Kroil, and that took care of it. The stuff is expensive, but works great

1 - 7 of 7 Posts