The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've searched a few places for this and haven't gotten an answer so I figured I'd ask here. I have a 1990 f250 7.3 and my stock temp gauge is pegged hot and my fuel tank reading is right at about half. Fuel tank selector does not work and only the rear tank is connected. I bought the truck this way a year ago and am just now trying to replace the rear tank from the 19 gallon to a larger one. Figured I'd see about this too. Since both gauges don't work I wasn't sure if the problem was potentially related. I have an aftermarket temp gauge that works fine and would like for the stock fuel gauge to work more than the temp gauge because of this. All other gauges look fine. I've attached a picture showing what I see on my end. I really appreciate you guys taking a look at it!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Temp. gauge, there's a short in the sending unit, or the wiring somewhere between the sending unit and the dashboard. Fuel tanks, check your switch and make sure it is actually switching. It sounds like it is reading one tank and feeding from the other. That can happen with wiring shorting together, or someone hooking it up wrong, or a bleed through in the switch itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Temp. gauge, there's a short in the sending unit, or the wiring somewhere between the sending unit and the dashboard. Fuel tanks, check your switch and make sure it is actually switching. It sounds like it is reading one tank and feeding from the other. That can happen with wiring shorting together, or someone hooking it up wrong, or a bleed through in the switch itself.
I wasn't sure if the front tank was connected to anything. I think the P.O. just cut it but I'll check to see if it's got anything in it. If not I'm not sure what it could be?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
It's common for the gauge face to come loose from the frame, jamming the needles. It's also possible for the needle to come off the shaft. But it's fairly easy to take the cluster apart, clean, & inspect it. The hard parts are 1) getting the shift indicator tube out intact (it's VERY fragile), and 2) disconnecting the speedo cable (which is deceptively simple). Follow the links on this page:

(click this text)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts